first ag need advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niman

Reaction score
ok

first of all I will explain my logic

I live in Belfast so local options are limited and we tend to get screwed for postage from the mainland,

so I bought a peco boiler and stainless IC for 99 euro on the thoughts a boiler is a boiler is a boiler....(I get im gonna have to watch for sparging ets)

I did splurge on a larger mashtun than I will prob need at the start...but comparing the local cost of 75 quid for the 30ltr brupak with plastic tap compared to 45ltr with bazooka and ss bal valve I went for that along with a sparge arm.

anyhoo.. as my first foray into AG brewing I cheated somewhat and ordered a brewpak mashkit...

so I have got a bucket of "mixed" grain a packet of yeast and a foil wrapped pack of hops.....

and ****e instructions

im assuming the bulk of hops are added at start of boil and some at end.

instructions are ****...

looking for advice.
HELP

Are you wanting a recipe or just a what to do? What are the mixed grains and are they malted? What are the hops and is there an alpha acid number on the pack this is important to work out how much to add at the beginning. I found the main problem with your 1st go is that there are so many different methods (none are wrong) that when you are reading about it its hard to work out. If you want more detailed help apart from the above questions what style beer do you want to make?

Could you let us know what you got in your bucket of grain I.e. Which types of malt and how much of each. Assuming they are crushed then generally they would all go in the mash tun together.
Regarding the hops their usage depends on the type of hops and the style of beer. You have to be carefull as putting too many in at the start can make the beer too bitter. You may well be looking at putting about 20g in at start and the rest close to the end of the boil, and maybe leave some over for dry hopping.
I would recommend getting one of the Graham Wheeler books as these gives recipes and instructions so you can get a better idea of ingredients and quantities needed

Good luck

Are you wanting a recipe or just a what to do? What are the mixed grains and are they malted? What are the hops and is there an alpha acid number on the pack this is important to work out how much to add at the beginning. I found the main problem with your 1st go is that there are so many different methods (none are wrong) that when you are reading about it its hard to work out. If you want more detailed help apart from the above questions what style beer do you want to make?

Its a stout mashkit so after reading a bit im guessing all the "unmarked" hops in for whole boil.

Latest posts

Back