Screw top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicusplum

Reaction score
Can I use screw top bottles to store my wine. I have heard some people say that they do but CJJ Berry says not to. The only bottles I have are screw top ones so would a cork fit ok in them anyway?

I sometimes use screwtops to store wine that is going to be consumed soon, and I just store them upright. I wouldn't recommend using them for longterm storage.

No, you can't cork screwtop bottles, as the neck is thinner than a normal bottle and may break under the pressure of corking.

FatCol

The problem with screw tops is as has been said you cannot cork them and the screw top threads wear so do not seal after you have used them a few times.
l use plastic 1.5 litre spring water bottles to bottle my wine.

Been corking screw cap bottles for a couple of years or so, absolutely no problems,,,,also been re-using screw caps and laying them on their side,,, but they are not in the bottles for too long,,,,,as my wife and get to do what one should do with wine and that is,,,,,,,,,

Been corking screw cap bottles for a couple of years or so, absolutely no problems,,,,also been re-using screw caps and laying them on their side,,, but they are not in the bottles for too long,,,,,as my wife and get to do what one should do with wine and that is,,,,,,,,,

I have read that the glass around the neck is a lot thinner in screw top bottles than in bottles made to be corked, you may have got away with it for a long time others may not be as fortunate so need to be made aware.

I recently bought a couple of DJ's from Wilko and comparing the weight to the old ones i acquired from charity shops you can tell there is less glass in the new ones hence thinner walls.

You appear to have a sticky , key on your keyboard. :lol:

My understanding is you can store it in anything that seals but if you want to age it use corked glass bottles. And yes you can put a cork in a screw cap bottle but it has a high risk of breaking so its not recommended.

Not a wine drinker or a brewer of wine. But I can't remember the last time a friend asked me for my Swiss army knife to use the corkscrew. Its all been screw tops on the bottles of wine, I have seen over last the many years.

So, using pre-used screwtops is not recommended, can we then purchase, from somewhere, new screw tops?

Hi, or do what I do and just save the tops from recycled bottles (I have hundreds and even I don't drink that much)! Saves on space and carrying back from the recycling bank!

Latest posts

Back