Citra SMaSH IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpirate

Regular.
Reaction score
I have always wanted to brew a SMaSH (Single malt/ Single Hop) and my brewing partner had a bunch of Citra left over that we wanted to brew with so we made a SMaSH IPA!

5.5g (21l) Batch
108 IBU
1.062 OG
1.010 Expected Final gravity
6.83%

Single infusion mash at 150 (65.5c)

Grain
12lb. Maris Otter

Hops
0.5oz (14g) Magnum added to the Mash
1.5oz (42.5g) Magnum First Wort
1.0oz (28g) Citra 10min
3.0oz (85g) Citra 0min Whirlpooled for 30min
2.0oz (56.5g) Citra Dry Hop 3 Days
2.0oz (56.5g) Citra Dry Hop 7 Days

Yeast
Fermentis US-05

Looking forward to trying this monster!:drink:

Sounds interesting I am planning to use citra for the 1st time on sunday. Have you made a maris otter only before how pale is it?

Citra is an awesome hop, love it. What are you using it in? This is the first maris otter only ale I have done but I have done a coconut porter with maris otter as the base grain and was fantastic. I have done a 50/50 split and the flavor was much better and the color was a bit darker 3-4srm vs 1srm of pale malt

I am just making a low ABV (3%) english bitter for drinking on brew days. All of my 6 brews so far have been maris otter based but all but the last one (still fermenting and used wai iti) have only used English hops (first gold, EKG & fuggles).

This sounds great! I did my first ever all grain with a smash citra ipa.

I *did* have trouble with clarity, but this is largely because I forgot my irish moss addition as I was too excited/stressed with boiling temperatures. It looks bad in the glass but tastes amazing.

Post pics!

This sounds great! I did my first ever all grain with a smash citra ipa.

I *did* have trouble with clarity, but this is largely because I forgot my irish moss addition as I was too excited/stressed with boiling temperatures. It looks bad in the glass but tastes amazing.

Post pics!

Meh. Clarity is nice but flavor is most important, will make sure to post pics for sure!

I am just making a low ABV (3%) english bitter for drinking on brew days. All of my 6 brews so far have been maris otter based but all but the last one (still fermenting and used wai iti) have only used English hops (first gold, EKG & fuggles).

I love maris otter since its 2x the cost of 2-row I use it sparingly especially since all my beers are typically over 1.060. Wai-Iti looks like a fun hop to play with, going to have to add that to my list :) Citra is a fun hop and I love to pair it up in my trio ( chinook, citra, amarillo). Good luck! One day I want to try a nice low abv beer but can't seem to pull it off lol.

OK you inspired me to try a smash instead so just maris otter and Citra. I uped it to 3.5% instead of 3 and its bubbling away at the moment. I will look out for chinook and amarillo on my next order (I have pleanty to try 1st though) and maybe try an IPA with them and citra. I did a good 3.5% beer in the past with 2.17kg MO 1kg munich and 200g crystal 30g first gold and 47g fuggles. Anyway thankyou for the inspiration.

Check out this Rye Double IPA I call Three Fathoms, its a massively hoppy flavorful beer :)

Good luck on your brew! I want to play with some small beers, lowest I did was a 5.5% but a nice light session beer sounds really good.

My mash tun limits me to around 5.5% for a full 23l batch, the highest I got was a 6% porter on my 2nd ever batch by accidentally leaving out 4l of water. How would you describe what rye adds to a beer? I had never thought of using it, does it go better with any specific styles?

The rye adds a nice spicy/earthy note which is why I chose to paid chinook with it and its awesome pairing. Its become popular in the US to use in IPAs and Red Ales but also check out the Roggenbier style

Hello,

Interested in trying this, but struggling to look up what magnum is on your hops bill?

I can find magnum hops, but if citra is your hops for this brew as a SMaSH.... magnum must be something else?

Cheers

There is some leeway for hops in a SMaSH to use a neutral bittering hop like magnum or warrior for bittering and then a single flavoring hop. My friend sampled the pre dry hopped version and is raving about it. Check out Drew Beechum's presentation at the 2012 National Homebrewers Conference

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSKHzmhrzY[/ame]

This is a sample out of the primary at 1.010

smash.jpeg

I just did an IPA using wai iti hops @ 10g per litre. Bloody lovely it is too, I'm keeping it hidden from friends, wife etc. might try a citra smash myself

So I tried a pre dry hopped version and holy hell this is killer, one of my better if not best IPAs I have done. Really making my look at my recipe creation :) Staggering the magnum made a strong bitter flavor but was rounded and not a sharp bitter and the aroma of citra...get out of here. We just modified our whirlpool to have a 2 pumps inline and was a crazy whirlpool and think thats what packed in the aroma. Cannot wait to dry hop this and make more!

Had a couple of beers made using Citra hops recently and I've really enjoyed them so going to try and find an extract recipe in the new year and give it a go.

Citra is a really great hop and it blends well with other varieties, what Citra beers have you had?

Citra is a really great hop and it blends well with other varieties, what Citra beers have you had?

The one I had this weekend was by Oakham Ales, cunningly named Citra. :clap: I absolutely loved it although my wife thought it was very unpleasant so it's obviously not to everyone's taste.

http://www.oakhamales.com/citra.html

Can't remember the name of the other one unfortunately and I've already de-labelled the bottle and added it to my collection of empties. :-P

Latest posts

Back