Hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've had a St. Peters Stout brewing for 20 Days now.
Last sunday gravity reading was 1015. today (Friday) its 1014. so I'll check sunday and if its the same I am going to bottle.
My question is this. I've just put my Hydrometer in plain tap water with just a touch of boiled water so that its of similar temperature to my brew. (21 deg C) The reading from plain water is 997 - 998. Does this mean I have to deduct 2 from my brew reading to get an accurate reading?
Cheers in advance
:thumb:

I'm in the same boat, what is room temperature? We got doors and windows open still, come winter we often just put a jumper on instead of ligthing the fire. Added to that our tap water runs very cold, a godsend in summer or when you have burnt yourself while cooking DAMHIKT :-)

I tested out my hydrometer and it clocks in at 1005-1008, when the water has been standing around for a while.

So I take it that my OG 1050 and FG 1007 should maybe read 1045 and 1002, but they are taken at same "room" temperature. Different readings but they clock up the same ABV.

Latest posts

Back