Weak tasting elderberries?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herringgull1

Reaction score
A couple of days ago i made an elderberry port style wine wich is bubbling away nicely. I kept back a pint of the strained juice for topping up wich i had a sip of yesterday. Im shocked to discover that the elder juice has no flavour! just a hint of the berries, i grabbed a few berries and tasted the raw, full of juice but no taste so now im worried my brew wont have any flavour when it ferments out? should i add anything to deepen the taste at this early stage? i was thinking of adding one of those new minature robinson blackcurrent concentrates but it may have added preservatives so should i add it direct or remove a litre of the ferment then add the whole minature then boil it before returning to DJ
My recipe is
2lb elders
1lb oranges
3lb sugar disolved in a pt water
7pts water
glass oj with fortified wine yeast
The brew is not on the must

Hey there, I am new to home brewing but I have made elderberry wine, it was made last year and took a good 6 months to complete to drinking stage, it was racked a couple of times during the process. I still have 1 bottle left! I would give the brew time to develop and the wine I got at the end does taste like red wine and has gone down very well with red wine enthusiasts. I did not honestly try the brew during the process, I just let the magic happen and waited to see what it turned out like.

I tweeked it abit last week by adding some preservative free blackcurrant cordial to it as it has apple, lemon and 18 per cent blackcurrant with cane sugar, got it from the co-op then added some ground ginger for abit oomph lol should be interesting!

Your recipe seems to be a bit short of elderberries ! I've always used 3 to 4 lb of berries / gallon in fruit wines. Actually, fresh elderberries are not exactly full of flavour in any case - you never hear of anyone making an elderberry pie do you ? Most of the taste is in the skins so they need a good long soak for the water to draw out the flavour.

I am really new to brewing but my father in law who is quiet experienced has been teaching me. Im currently making Elderberry wine as my 1st brew, and I used 4lb berries.
I have put them in a tub with boiling hot water and a bag of sugar, let it cool then added a packet of yeast. I have been told to leave it for a week like that before straining into the DJ, to extract the flavour.

Latest posts

Back