Wine cleared?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uksoundz

Reaction score
Hi, I've been making the Wilko Chardonnay starter kit, I added the finings around 3 days ago and the wine already looks pretty clear, I can read the instructions through the wine if that makes sense?

A few bits are stuck to the sides of the demijohn though so the picture below might not do it justice.

My question is, can I siphon into the bottle bag yet? Or should I wait it out?

Not that I'm impatient, I'm just bought a nice beaverdale Shiraz!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411209266.148224.jpg this time with photo attached! [emoji15]

Just done it, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411217861.233060.jpg it's still actually a little cloudy now it's in a glass. Some of the sediment from the side of the dj made its way through when siphoning.

Will it be ok to drink even though it's still not crystal clear?

Also it's very strong and harsh right now, guess it might taste better after a few weeks.

Actually ignore that, it smells really strong and like vinegar, but doesn't actually taste all that bad.

Normally i would say drinking cloudy wine is not bad for you i have done this many times as my syphoning set up was lousy when i first started, i don't like the sound of "very" vinegary.

I'll leave it a few weeks and see what happens but it's probably ruined. I've got a beaverdale Shiraz on the go now and have ensured everything is really well sterilised this time (although I thought I did last time ha) see how this one turns out.
I've also just bought supplies to have a go at making some WOW later this week!

Just the standard orange wine with orange juice and white grape juice for starters.

Although I've been reading about vimto wine that interests me!!

Back