First Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtreach

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a good while into my first turbo cider brew and was hoping for some advice....

I've used 20L of AJ, tea, yeast nutrient, champagne yeast, 600g of sugar and pectolase enzyme. I racked after a week and a half from a FB to demijohns with my OG 1054 and SG 1000 (around 7%).

The cider has now cleared significantly. A cheeky taste around a week ago didn't impress me, with it tasting... well weird. A taste today has revealed a much improved flavour but maybe a little dry for my other half.

My question(s) is how should a proceed? What is best for flavour? Should I kill the yeast now (sorbate) to preserve the slightly sweet taste or should I let the cider age for a couple of weeks further with the yeast still live and then kill them and backsweeten? How crucial is a camdem tablet and does that do the same job as the sorbate in addition to killing the bacteria?

Apologies for the essay, here's a picture of the beauties... :drink:

IMAG0145.jpg

Anybody that finds this thread this turned out to be pretty nasty. I'm unsure why this was - maybe due to infection or maybe just due to the high alcohol content. It seemed very sulphury.

Yes I have actually, my SO was kind enough to buy me a voucher for a brewing course is Brixton and there we had a go at brewing an American style IPA AG. I liked it so much that I went out and bought exactly the same ingredients and have tried to replicate it in my kitchen.

It tasted very fruity to me - not dissimiliar to BrewDog's Punk IPA. I've recently bottled it and I am waiting in anticipation to try it, although the small taste I had before bottling was already really nice.

I'm also planning a wheat beer AG now as well with Citra hops and using pilsner and wheat malt.

My experience with the turbo cider hasn't put me off and I definitely want to try another WOW at some point as there must be a reason so many people like it.

I have made many gallons of supermarket juice wine and our favourite is Red Grape juice and apple juice (1 litre of each to a DJ) if you haven't already seen it have a look at this thread -

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Heads up - Asda are selling Don Simon Spanish Red Grape Juice in a 2 litre carton for ���£2:50.

8410261766423_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back