Schoolboy error?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly_willy

Reaction score
I've brewed up a youngs harvest bitter kit. I boiled up 500g of dextrose and 500g of light malt, then followed the instructions, pitched at 24 degrees OG was 1040..... Just as I was about to move the FV to its location I spotted about 300g of sugar on the side and without thinking threw that into the brew.... Will I have blown it by not boiling the sugar or will I get away with it? How long will it take till I know?

I've brewed up a youngs harvest bitter kit. I boiled up 500g of dextrose and 500g of light malt, then followed the instructions, pitched at 24 degrees OG was 1040..... Just as I was about to move the FV to its location I spotted about 300g of sugar on the side and without thinking threw that into the brew.... Will I have blown it by not boiling the sugar or will I get away with it? How long will it take till I know?

Absolutely no need to boil sugar. Adding another 300g of table sugar (or dextrose) might add up to 0.6 or 0.7% to the ABV but will do nothing else for a first brew.

Don't worry about it being dissolved either - it won't hide from the yeast.

What about if the sugar has sat in an opened bag in the cupboard for a while?
I had this dilemma at the weekend and boiled it anyway to be on the safe side. Normally chuck it straight in if from a new, unopened bag.

it will be fine, I had to dump about 750g of sugar into my stout when fermentation stopped after a couple of days

Back