First timer from Gunness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviec_lj

Reaction score
Good evening ladies and gents.

I'm Steve, from Gunness near Scunthorpe.

We're heavily in to growing our own in what space we have, the Mrs' parents are shooters, so we get a little meat from them and plenty of rabbit, chicken and eggs from them and my uncle.

We've recently put in a small orchard at the smallholding/farm the Mrs' parents own, so we hope to get some fruit from there in the coming years. We also partake in hedgerow foraging for fruit, etc.

Currently on the list of available fruit we have;

* Apples

* Pears

* Plums

* Brambles

* Elderflower/berry

* Strawberry

* Blackcurrent

* Hawthorns

So quite an range of fruit in the coming years hopefully.

Be prepared for the usual, and some unusual noob questions. Other than that, hello!

Welcome and greetings from East Yorkshire (that's the proper side of the Humber!) :D

You've certainly got a good variety of fruits and berries, so there will probably be plenty of recipes on here for you to have a go at.

FatCol

Welcome!

Every 3/4 months I go to Scunthorpe College (North Lindsey) and talk to the staff (we're financial advisers).

We have our lunch at the big tesco near the football ground. Last October I was walking back to the college and next to the main road/footpath (still close to the tesco, opposite Toys R Us & TK Maxx) there were loads of sloes that nobody had touched, albeit a bit shrivelled and gonners. Just if you cant find any elsewhere - thats my welcome gift to you ;)

Callum

Thanks FatCol, Chippy_Tea and calluma11.

Callum, this is wonderful news. We've been looking for a small supply of Sloes for Gin, Vodka and Jam as we haven't attempted anything with them before

I'll check it out this evening when walking the dogs.

Welcome to the forum,

With all that fruit available you won't have much time available from now on....:cheers:

Do update me, I'd be interested to know the score on them :)

Sloes' have been discovered, quite a number of them seem to have been eaten, so potentially being foolish I picked a bag full. Ended up with about 1lb in weight, and I think had they been left any longer, there wouldn't be any left.

Also managed to find 3lb or Elderberry that still looked good. The trees closer to home have nothing left on them and I feared I'd missed them this year.

I now need to buy the equipment to actually make the wine now!! Thinking about a beer/cider kit too, so I've got a man drink haha..

Sloes' have been discovered, quite a number of them seem to have been eaten, so potentially being foolish I picked a bag full. Ended up with about 1lb in weight, and I think had they been left any longer, there wouldn't be any left.

Also managed to find 3lb or Elderberry that still looked good. The trees closer to home have nothing left on them and I feared I'd missed them this year.

At least you got something, and can remember them for next year :)
I was just starting out homebrew last year so, after I told you the location, was worried they may have been a misidentification - didnt want to send you on a wild goose chase :grin:

Too much fruit, too little time already I fear..

My problem too, so i've just bunged them in sarnie bags and popped them in the freezer. I can periodically make stuff throughout the year (limited equipment and space)

Just an idea if you have the freezer room

Latest posts

Back