Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine (WOW) .....

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
mikey1967

Default Re: The WOW variant thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea
I have just bottled my first ever Pomegranate wine and i can honestly say its the best i have made, really pleasant and really strong flavours, i might just try a 5 gallon version.

Quote:
Pomegranate wine.

2 litre Pomegranate juice.

1 litre WGJ.

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.
going to sound daft but are you topping this up to the full d.j with water as only got 3lt in this
cheers

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3703 Times on 2928 Posts
Likes Given: 4476

Yes, I always top up after the first couple of days vigorous fermentation, I found the original wow's tasted a little water so added an extra litre of juice to give it more taste.
Give it a try i don't think you will be disappointed.

I have edited the original pomegranate recipe in this thread slightly - viewtopic.php?p=385624#p385624
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Wino2012 posted

Go this on the go as of yesterday, hoping for great things...

1ltr WGJ
1ltr posh Innoccent apple juice
1ltr Pure pomegranite (POM 86% pomegranite, 14% blueberry) (£3.68 )

700 grams sugar
pectolase
tannin (tea)
citric
nutrient
Vintners CL23 yeast

WGJ and apple juice with all the usual suspects to start. Will then pitch the POM after initial ferment. I'm hopin for a good one. Bluberries and pomegranite both make nice wines. So have forked out for a posh apple juice and even posher pomegranite and blueberry. Around £6.50 all in all Fingers crossed
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #24
Wasabi

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just started this tonight, inspired by my recent ginger beer:

1 litre "breakfast juice" (10% grapefruit, 90% orange)
900g sugar (so total 1 kg sugars including the juice)
30g powdered ginger (about 1/3 what I used for my ginger beer, just to give it a mild gingery tang)
Water to 4.5 litres.

I'm using dry-pitched Allinson's bakers yeast again because it worked great for the ginger beer, and I'm tight! I did add Wilko yeast nutrient though (belatedly, after two hours, when I suddenly remembered!) I don't know if bakers yeast can keep working up to wine-strength but I'm about to find out! But the granules started fizzing virtually the instant they hit the water, it's very fast.

If I survive drinking last week's ginger beer I'll let you know how this orange ginger wine turns out! (Oops, forgot to do an OG reading, bit late now it's been going about 4 hours.)

Old 18-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Wasabi

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seven days on and activity is down to a bubble per 30 secs at most (at 23░C) and gravity is now .991 (I forgot to do an SG reading though!) Tastes fine but I think I can still detect a little sugar in it, it may be that the baker's yeast gives up at lower alcohol concentrations, though admittely the gravity is low enough to suggest complete fermentation so maybe its just the inherent orange flavour that I'm mistaking for sweetness? My plan is to decant it into my spare dj in the next day or two and then leave it a few weeks to clear.

Old 19-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Another success, not sure if i prefer it to the pomegranate wine in post one of this thread but it is a very close second.

Quote:
My WOW Variant.

1 litre RGJ (162g sugar) Booths supermarket
2 litres cranberry & blackcurrant juice drink. (234g total for both) Booths supermarket
700g sugar.
1 tsp super wine yeast.
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp tannin (2 tea bag brew)
1 tsp glycerine

Old 21-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
wino2012

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

simkin, kiddo, that pineapple varient is the DB's Last I saw, SWMBO was seen running down the country lane with it, laughing the laugh of the committed
5ltr Beaverdale Chateau du Roi
5ltr Apple, raspberry and vanilla cordial wine
5ltr Shiraz grape and blackcurrant cordial wine
5ltr Portovine Wine
5ltr Mango wine
5ltr Mango orange and passionfruit wine
5ltr Guavo wine
5ltr watermelon wine

Old 29-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

OldPeculier posted -

Asda had a 5 for £4 deal on their chilled juices so it seemed rude not to partake.

I did; 2 litre pineapple + 1litre white grape
2 litre Cherry + 1 litre white grape
2 litre Forest fruits + 1 litre white grape

All made up with 600g sugar and made up to about 4 litres which gave an SG of 1.095 which is about right if you adjust it to 4.5 litres. I will top them up in a day or two.

Each had half a teaspoon of; pectalase, citric acid, nutrient. a teaspoon of glycerine and richies wine yeast and a cup of tea.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #29
Wasabi

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi
1 litre "breakfast juice" (10% grapefruit, 90% orange)
900g sugar (so total 1 kg sugars including the juice)
30g powdered ginger
Now two weeks since I decanted this into my second DJ after it finished fermenting, hasn't cleared yet (didn't use finings) though another 5mm of sediment has settled out, but I decided to bottle it anyhow to free up the DJ for my Wilko Carbernet Sauvignon kit, also so I could put it into the fridge since there's nowhere in the house cooler than 23░C and I get the impression it is likely to mature better if kept cool. Tastes just like vodka and orange actually but not as sweet, I think it may be around 13%, seems quite strong anyhow. Be interesting to see if it ends up tasting like a wine, bearing in mind I didn't use any grape juice.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
Jonny69

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Jonny69 posted -

Best one so far is for a rosÚ:

1.5 litre of red grape

1 litre of apple juice

750g sugar in a gallon brew.

It was *just* short of flavour though and I added a dash of strawberry Ribena when serving. I may add a teaspoon of acid if it needs it.
I'd like to modify that recipe slightly because I've finalised it.
1 litre red grape
1 litre apple
500ml of another red juice e.g. strawberry, cherry, cranberry, fruits of the forest etc
750g sugar
Water to 1 gallon

Brew out, but add to each 750ml bottle 2 tsp white sugar and 0.5 tsp malic acid. This really improves it. Either stabilise it or store it in the fridge once sweetened, otherwise it will continue to ferment.

Tags
cheap wine, chill haze, home made wine, how to make juice wine, red grape juice, supermarket juice wine, white grape juice, wine making help, wine recipe, wow, wurzel's orange wine