WOW type recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been reading the WOW making threads and see lots of recipes which look great.

I def fancy making a wine after my first attempts at ciders (1 from a kit, and the next two from juice, one all apple and one apple and cherry)

The recipes in the WOW threads only seem to be for making a few (or 5) litres at a time, where I'm wanting to make full use of my 25l FV

Is it just a case of multiplying up ? I had my doubts when I read a recipe that was 1ltr apple, 1 ltr other fruit juice and 1kg sugar... If I multiplied up by a factor of 10, 10kg of sugar seems excessive?!!

What's the thinking for wine kits versus a WOW type made from supermaket juice ?

cheers !

I made this today, you can find more recipes in this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Basically multiply the lot by 5 but you can get away with using 3 teaspoons of yeast not 5.

I have just started 23.5 litres of wine.

5 litres White grape juice

5 litres apple and raspberry juice

3 teaspoons youngs super wine yeast compound.

5 teaspoons nutrient

5 teaspoons pectolace

5 teaspoons citric acid

5 teaspoons glycerine

Tannin = 1 litre of black tea (5 bags stirred several times as i was putting all the ingredients together)

5052449211511_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
297703.jpg

Yes, we normally make red grape juice and plain apple juice which makes a great tasting rose but if we cannot get red grape juice we get the apple and raspberry and use it with white grape juice instead.

That's only 10 ltrs of juice, so is the remaining 13.5 ltrs just water ?

I was expecting to see a load of sugar to make the abv wine-like but am I missing something ? (always a possibility haha)

When you make a WOW to the original recipe you use 1 litre of grape juice and 1 litre of orange juice and 800g of sugar, as there is sugar in the cartons this means the ABV varies as no two juices have the same sugar content, we now use 1100g (including the sugar in the cartons) which gives us an ABV of 13%.

When making 23.5 litres (5 gallons) you multiply everything by 5 so use 10 litres of juice and 4Kg of sugar (its actually slightly more but its easier to dump 2 x 2 Kg bags into the FV than measure it) you can add more juice if you wish but you will end up with something like alcopop not something similar to wine which is what we are after.

Don't laugh at the stupid question, but I take it I would just top up to 23.5l with water (so approx 13l gets added to the 10l of juice) ?

The rose recipes sound good, going to give them a try I think

It will not be 13 litres as you are adding 4Kg of sugar and if you use tea bags for tannin you will be adding a litre of tea.

Yes thought that but wondered about so much water when my Cherry Cider I'm making just now doesn't have any water in it at all :cheers:

Can I ask another couple of questions though...

How long do you think the Rose (WGJ+Apple & Rasp) will take to ferment ?

What would you expect the FG to be for a wine (the cider I mentioned, that I'll bottle soon is down to 0.995)

How long do you reckon it should be 'conditioned' ? before drinking

And lastly, how long it could be stored for (in plastic 1.5l water bottles), presumably OK in a cool place ?

Yes thought that but wondered about so much water when my Cherry Cider I'm making just now doesn't have any water in it at all

We use grape juice and glycerine to give the wine body and mouth feel, i regularly make 100% red grape juice and 100% apple juice (a litre of each in a DJ) and its not watery tasting at all.

How long do you think the Rose (WGJ+Apple & Rasp) will take to ferment ?

It depends on the temperature of the room where it will be kept, a rough guide is two weeks to ferment then you must leave it an extra week for the yeast to clean up after itself, failure to do this can lead to bad headaches and bad guts.

What would you expect the FG to be for a wine (the cider I mentioned, that I'll bottle soon is down to 0.995)

If fermentation has finished it will be around .990 (Dry)

How long do you reckon it should be 'conditioned' ? before drinking

Juice wines do not need long to mature but do improve over a short time, i drink them when they are new as i don't have much storage space (the orange version was not nice when new)

And lastly, how long it could be stored for (in plastic 1.5l water bottles), presumably OK in a cool place ?

I am not really sure, i use the same bottles and as they are air permeable the wine ages faster than in glass, if you plan to age it for long periods go for glass.

Hi guys.
What are the best juices to use?
Can I pick up any juice of the shelf?

Basically any juice drink that does not have preservative in it, for wine you must use equal amounts of grape juice to the juice drink or the wine will have no body.

Another tip is to use 100% juice if you can, some juice can be lower than 50% juice with the rest being water, as you are going to add water to the DJ this is not a good thing.

These make a decent Rose type wine (one of each in a DJ)

Have a read of this recipe thread there are lots of juices listed in them and reviews of the finished wine by the members - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

5052449211511_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
297703.jpg

Latest posts

Back