Newbie with possibly a stupid question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
I noticed that the 'start up kit' sold at the Range includes a fermentation bucket but no airlock, bung or anyway to put one.

Is this right & if so where would all the gas go ?
I may be being thick.

That seems strange - I just had a look on their site and you're correct the Fermentation Bucket does not have an airlock or a grommet for one. It just looks like a sealed lid. Maybe the lid seals a certain way but I doubt it. Although more experienced brewers may have a solution I wouldn't use this as-is. I watched the video on their site (admittedly sound off!) and there were a few basic things in terms of hygiene I wouldn't do when brewing.

Laying the lid on top and not snapping it shut is fine, the CO2 protects the wine while it's fermenting.

Hi Gizmo
The gas definitely needs to go somewhere so either the lid needs to be left on 'loose' to allow the co2 to escape or there is some sort of built in pressure release (very doubtful).
I haven't tried the kits so won't comment on the video's claim to make quality beer/wine/cider in 2-3 weeks but I'd agree with bazhsw about the hygiene aspects of the vid

I'm new to this game and am using the FV from the Coopers kit, which is basically a 25l bin with a tap and a lid

Like has been said, so long as the lid isn't snapped shut or has something heavy lying on top of it, if the co2 builds up it will burp it out I reckon

seems to be working for me so far ☺

Hi Gizmo,

I make the Range 'Make Your Own' wine kits regularly, and yes as Chippy and Roddy said leaving the lid on but not quite sealed works fine, the volume of CO2 is enough to keep it covered OK, the comments I will make is if you are doing the kits that come in a heavy plastic 'bag' take care as you cut the top off as it unseals the concentrate and the sachets are in a pouch next to it, if you do the red wine it can be a bit volcanic in the first few days and you need at least a 30L bin or a large tray or something to stand it on, it does warn you of this in the notes.

That said it is quite a nice wine that tastes pretty good straight after it clears but improves with storage, although ours doesn't get to be stored for very long,

Enjoy.

By the way, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, the guys on here are amazing, make use of them.

Would it not be better to bore a hole & add a bung and airlock ?
At least that way you know it's working ?

A bung requires a 28mm hole this would not really work in a flimsy lid, you can buy a grommet that fits in a much smaller hole and you insert the the airlock without the bung.

one of my lids is the opaque plastic type, very thin. i pushed the airlock through it {in a screwing motion} added a dab of clear silicone to the edges and let it dry. works perfectly

scaff

Decided against the 'flimsy lid ' style bucket but went for the Wilkinson screw top FV with bung hole and airlock.
Bought the Range white wine kit as recommended on here.
Will start everything tomorrow any tips gratefully received.

Hi Gizmo,
Apart from the instructions which are quite clear, I would just say that in my experience it takes about 10-12 days to ferment out fully at about 20-22 degrees centigrade, and if after adding finings etc you leave 5+ days, not 3, the white becomes really clear, it does improve with age but ours never seems to last that long, surprising how many friends we get visiting!!!

Now , I know it's been 20 years plus since I attempted anything like this but I have to say the fermentation is going wild
(I hope & trust this is a good thing)

I worked it out, the kit contained in "The Range" homebrew starter set was available elsewhere at quite a saving. "The Range" are effectively wanting £11 for the bucket.

I'd watch out at Wilko too, we have two in Scunthorpe, well, one is technically in "Ashby" but its all the same s*** hole really. One stocks absolutely nothing of relevance to brewing, the Ashby store stocks the bare minimum, the staff are also bloody useless.

They say Homebrew is taking off, but its seems not to be the case around here, we have no dedicated brew shop, and the larger stores seem to be stocking less and less these days. 3ft of shelving in Wilko, and probably 5ft in The Range.

I worked it out, the kit contained in "The Range" homebrew starter set was available elsewhere at quite a saving. "The Range" are effectively wanting £11 for the bucket.

I'd watch out at Wilko too, we have two in Scunthorpe, well, one is technically in "Ashby" but its all the same s*** hole really. One stocks absolutely nothing of relevance to brewing, the Ashby store stocks the bare minimum, the staff are also bloody useless.

They say Homebrew is taking off, but its seems not to be the case around here, we have no dedicated brew shop, and the larger stores seem to be stocking less and less these days. 3ft of shelving in Wilko, and probably 5ft in The Range.

I recently bought a couple of items from this ebay seller and P&P was free - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/home-brew-online-shop/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Oh this one is going just fine, bubbling away like billeo.
Glad I went for the sturdier FV, I simply wasn't happy with the loose bucket lid idea & no airlock.

Latest posts

Back