WOW-Where best to find the juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to take a walk on the WOW side and attempt a fruit juice wine.

My local supermarket is Morrisons and I've so far not found a lot that would constitute 100% fruit juice.

I'd like to make a 'traditional' WOW before I branch out, but SWMBO would like to do something involving raspberries and I can't find anything beyond about 30%.

Any pointers/stores to try?

Cheers!:cheers:

Try a red grape juice and apple juice (litre of each) first as its popular with forum members, the orange original is like marmite some love it others dont, i would do this one later.

morrisons do a grape/apple/rasp 1ltr. £1. 40%grape. 50%apple 8% rasp. iirc.
use 2 of these in a 1gal wow for a nice rose. sugar up to 1100g inc juices.

You will be 20% short of grape juice

I forgot to add to my red grape juice and apple juice suggestion above it turns out like a raspberry tasting rose wine definitely not red.

No you need 100% juice, Asda and Tresco sell red and white, if you look at the Asda site you can get a delivery slot for one pound during the week which will help if there isn't one close to you..

Sainsbury had a Tropicana 2 for £3 deal so I got a litre of Orange and raspberry plus a litre of RGJ. Mixed it with some of the aforementioned Morrisons Apple and grape juice and the other odds and sods and it is now bubbling merrily away in the airing cupboard!

Excited to try brewing wine, though this will be more red than rose (which begs the question: do I chill it when it's ready to drink?)

Also got a DJ of Wilko elderflower wine on the go, and a Wherry. I've clearly gone brew mad! :drunk:

I always chill my juice wine.

Excited to try brewing wine, though this will be more red than rose

When you put any red juice in a DJ it looks very dark but by the time it is cleared it will be the colour of a rosé wine.

Ive been trying to hunt down some white grape juice for days now. None in Tesco. None in Aldi. None in Asda.
Im going to try a WOW too with WGJ, apple juice and pineapple juice ...... but so far NO white grape anywhere :?
If anyone knows where to buy some please shout :razz:

WGJ can be hard to find yet red grape juice seems easier, unless you have to make a white wine use the red version.

I picked up some WGJ in ASDA today (1/10/2014) 4 for £3 and some RGJ in Sainsbury's 3 for £2-50. I did the rounds Lidl have RGJ at 99p a litre, but don't stock WGJ as there's no call for it, ASDA don't stock RGJ as there's no call for that!!! My local Aldi told me that there wasn't any WGJ or RGJ going to be stocked!

Thanks for the WGJ/RGJ update ;-) Much appreciated. Guess where Im off to today. Fingers crossed our local Asda have some too.
Only trouble is now I dont have any demijohns empty. Will have to wait a while before I make the WGJ. Oh is the WGJ in Asda the long life or the fresh variety?

I picked up some WGJ in ASDA today (1/10/2014) 4 for £3 and some RGJ in Sainsbury's 3 for £2-50. I did the rounds Lidl have RGJ at 99p a litre, but don't stock WGJ as there's no call for it, ASDA don't stock RGJ as there's no call for that!!! My local Aldi told me that there wasn't any WGJ or RGJ going to be stocked!

Thanks for the WGJ/RGJ update ;-) Much appreciated. Guess where Im off to today. Fingers crossed our local Asda have some too.
Only trouble is now I dont have any demijohns empty. Will have to wait a while before I make the WGJ. Oh is the WGJ in Asda the long life or the fresh variety?

If its long life it'll probably have preservative in it, don't bother with this its more trouble than its worth.

You can make a DJ from a 5 litre plastic spring water bottle, drill a 9mm hole in the top and the airlock should be a snug fit.

It's the all singing all dancing 100% 'Pure Pressed White Grape Juice' just the way we like it!

Ive got 3 lots of WOW on the go. On day 5 now and bubbling away nicely. All 3 DJs will soon need topping up.
I think I may not have enough grape juice in my concoctions :hmm:. I really wanted 100% WGJ in them but couldnt get any so used these juices... Should I top them up with a RGJ (still cant find WGJ even in Asda :roll: ) or pre boiled water? :hmm:
Wanted a white wine but know I wont be getting that but so long as it tastes good I'll be happy.
Thanks for any advice :p

WOW 1
Apple & Elderflower
Grape/Apple/Rasp
1 lemon (juice + zest)
1 cup Tea

WOW 2
Apple/Grape/Rasp
Apple
¼L Pineapple
1 Lemon juice/zest
1 cup Tea

WOW 3
Red Grape & Berry
Grape/Apple/Raspberry
¼L Pineapple
1 Lime juice/zest
1 cup T

If you top them up before stabilising you will be adding sugar which will ferment and your wine will be a little stronger, if they are to the shoulder now it will be less than half a litre you are adding so only around 50g of sugar, leave it until they are hardly bubbling before adding it.

If you top them up before stabilising you will be adding sugar which will ferment and your wine will be a little stronger, if they are to the shoulder now it will be less than half a litre you are adding so only around 50g of sugar, leave it until they are hardly bubbling before adding it.

So add grape juice - not water - top them up when bubbling slows right down.
Thanks Chippy.
Will the 'new' grape juice start the fermentation off again? If not then how does the newly added juice ferment into wine?

I add water to mine as i don't want them any stronger, if you add the juice before stabilising it will carry on fermenting.

Back