Toffee flavouring how?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhound

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been brewing by the AG method for about a year now and I'm very pleased wit the results. It's true (and trust me I didn't believe it when I was using malt extract) the AG makes much better beer :D . Any way, my question is how do I get the toffee flavour I've noticed in some commercial beers? Has anyone got a list of which malts add which flavours please? As many of you know beer flavour is everything and it would be good to unlock this knowledge and pass it on to others. I also believe it would be helpful if the forum recipies where more easily searchable by having extra columns with information like flavour information and "Like" a certain beer name.
Cheers :drunk:

Using about 400g of Medium Crystal Malt should give you nice toffee flavours.

I've tried crystal Rye upto about 5% for a distinct toffee flavour. Not tried more than that - if no other crystals might tolerate upto 10%.

Also, noticed that BRY97 yeast gives a nice rounded butterscotch flavour - started a brew yesterday that includes both of these, to try to get that toffee/butterscotch flavour too!

I made a mild, 17l batch, and i used caramunich II and crystal 60!! i have the toffee aroma and flavor on top ;)
2.220 kg Pale Ale Malt (73.27%)
0.320 kg Crystal 60 (10.56%)
0.250 kg Caramunich II (8.25%)
0.120 kg Chocolate (3.96%)
0.120 kg Wheat Malt (3.96%)

Back