How to get a Red Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
I have tried 4 or 5 times to get a Red ALe, can anyone help me with the grains and ratios to use please?!

My latest looks a bit coppery

I used

Pale Male 85.7%
Vienna Malt 3.3$
Carared 8.2%
Cafafa III 2.1% (1300EBC)

I'm wondering if the Carared is the culprit??

Many thanks.

I will be bottling one with 500g carared 100g crystal and 3.6kg maris otter later and will let you know how it looks.

Yes, will be interesting. Must admit, only just made mine, maybe it may change colour after fermentation.

My most recent attempt was:

Pale Male 73.1%
Vienna Malt 8.4%
Carared 10.4%
CafaAmber 7.3%
Roasted Barley 0.8%

This was also a Goldy-Coppery colour so we seem to have a similar starting point!
In my recipe the 0.8% Roast Barley works out at 40g in a 23l brew so next time i'll be upping to 50g because as I understand it the Roasted Barley is what controls the 'red'.

DA

I read to use Carafa III for the red colour as it is not as strong in taste as roasted barely, so you don't get stouty flavours.

Interesting to see what happens!

Carafa III, Roast, and Black malts all give a great ruby color when used around the 1% mark.

Carafa III, Roast, and Black malts all give a great ruby color when used around the 1% mark.

Interesting to know, what other malts should you use, apart from Pale, or is it as I am suspecting a mix of Pale and Black malts only to get red?

If you're looking to make it hoppy I might suggest keeping the grain bill simple to let the hops shine, otherwise any malt would do. For a more malty Red you could use munich or the lighter version, vienna. For residual sweetness or body you could use a touch of crystal or caramalt.

Latest posts

Back