Wine stopped dead!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herringgull1

Reaction score
Im totally fed up today. started an elderberry wine a week ago, everything was going ok, plopping away every second until this morning. Last night i lit my fire and placed the dj on the hearth. The wine speeded up abit and was fizzing well until this morning when it was only plopping every minute or two. I decided to add some ground ginger to add some heat to the taste wich was very nice and now its gone dead! no plopping or fizzing so i added some sugar and gave it a good shake, still dead then my friend advised making up a yeast starter wich was great as i got it frothing then added it to the wine but 6hrs later its still flat and no action, what else can i do to get it going again? i dont own a hydrometer yet but surely it couldnt be finished after one week? all ive got is a very tasty wine but with no action now

My house is still around 20c I cannot imagine how hot a DJ would get next to an open fire, i think you need to get a hydrometer as it's the only way you are going to know what's going on in there, everything else is guesswork.

Yep mate, im picking one up on the weekend then ive only got to figure it out lol still no action in the jar today apart from a plop once an hour or so. Seeing as ive already added new starter wich was active when it went in, is there a way to wake it up again? i realise now that i was wrong just throwing it in all in one go but im learning day by day thanks to you guys x

Latest posts

Back