Melting 3 pin plugs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbins

Reaction score
Hello All

I've recently moved house and done my first brew in the new place. I've used the same kit for over 20 brews now. It's a BIAB home made set up with two Tesco kettle elements. The leads I use have heat resistant three pin plugs rated to 10amp and I've never had any issues with overheating. I plug one into the cooker socket and the other into the ring main downstairs so there's not too much power being drawn from any circuit. I did the same in the new place and when I packed up after the brew both of the three pin plugs that plug into the kettle elements were mishapped to point of being dangerous. After checking the fuse box both the cooker circuit and the ring main run at 32amps. I take the kettle elements out and clean them after every third brew. They are as clean as new. I'm confused! Why would plugs melt on me?

Hello All

I've recently moved house and done my first brew in the new place. I've used the same kit for over 20 brews now. It's a BIAB home made set up with two Tesco kettle elements. The leads I use have heat resistant three pin plugs rated to 10amp and I've never had any issues with overheating. I plug one into the cooker socket and the other into the ring main downstairs so there's not too much power being drawn from any circuit. I did the same in the new place and when I packed up after the brew both of the three pin plugs that plug into the kettle elements were mishapped to point of being dangerous. After checking the fuse box both the cooker circuit and the ring main run at 32amps. I take the kettle elements out and clean them after every third brew. They are as clean as new. I'm confused! Why would plugs melt on me?

Check your power rating/consumption and remember that 1 kW is equal to over 4 amps

Hello All

What is the KW rating for each kettle element? You are probably close to the rating of the fuse for each plug which is why kettles will be on a 13A fuse. No chance of overloading the circuits.

If the pins have bend slightly when you moved a poorer connection can cause more heat. I assume they are the same elements as my tesco and argos elements which say 1.8-2.2Kw. Are you using properly heat resistant C15 cables or the standard PC type C13?

I use Tesco value kettle elements and I get a similar problem when I plug into my 13amp extension lead compared to the wall socket. I know that the well-used socket on the extension lead is a bit loose - it is considerably easier to plug and unplug from the extension lead i.e. I think I could almost tip the plug out :-/ So, as Simon12 said, I think your new socket connection may not be as tight or the your plug pins may be deformed.
Have you noticed a difference in how easy it is to plug / unplug?

I was actually thinking of the connection between the lead and the socket on the back of the element but its good to check both.

Hi I'm a sparks and I'd guess that the elements are not really designed for long periods of heating and you are probably overloading the cable, build your self a small Fuse board or RCD that you can plug in and hard wire your elements into that, be safer!!!! For a plug to misshape it suggests you are pulling quite a load, how much are you hearing? Remember kettle elements are designed for about 2 litres max!

Back