Whats the hype with real ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucestevenson916

Beer Apprentice
Reaction score
I know this might be a controversial thing to talk about. but Im a die-hard ale drinker, have been drinking ale since I first started drinking.

My problem is that every time I go to a real ale fest, I look for my favourite brewers of which bottled beer I love, and its ALWAYS dissapointing! Flat, room temperature beer! I just dont get the hype, Beer is supposed to be carbonated and be cool/cold (depending on beer style of course). Most times I get a pint of Real ale in spoons its a bit better but I always prefer kegged beer.

Kegged beer always seems to be properly conditioned, cool and carbonated and doesn't go off after 3 days from opening the keg. What I dont understand is CAMRA supporters take a Stance on the "Craft Keg", as anyone can put that badge on their beer to help boost their appeal and sales. But still get the feeling that they look down their noses at the keg as its not naturally carbonated.

My question is this. What is the big deal with real ale? as I'd rather take a pint of Dead pony club by brewdog any day over a real ale.

FYI I am a member of CAMRA as they do stand up for beer drinkers, standards and pub landlords and I like that, and theres no Campain for Tasty Ale :)

My problem is that every time I go to a real ale fest, I look for my favourite brewers of which bottled beer I love, and its ALWAYS dissapointing! Flat, room temperature beer! I just dont get the hype, Beer is supposed to be carbonated and be cool/cold (depending on beer style of course). Most times I get a pint of Real ale in spoons its a bit better but I always prefer kegged beer.

Kegged beer always seems to be properly conditioned, cool and carbonated and doesn't go off after 3 days from opening the keg. What I dont understand is CAMRA supporters take a Stance on the "Craft Keg", as anyone can put that badge on their beer to help boost their appeal and sales. But still get the feeling that they look down their noses at the keg as its not naturally carbonated.

My question is this. What is the big deal with real ale? as I'd rather take a pint of Dead pony club by brewdog any day over a real ale.

FYI I am a member of CAMRA as they do stand up for beer drinkers, standards and pub landlords and I like that, and theres no Campain for Tasty Ale :)

...and that my friend is what the big Brewers have conditioned you to expect ! The cold hides the fact that they don't use the best, freshest ingredients, just the cheapest that might have been transported for 100s of miles, and the over carbonation helps improve inherently poor flavours.

And recently moved, poorly kept or just not good In the first place cask ale at beer festivals is not going to help you see the good side of craft ales either.

Cellar cool, well looked after ale, that has not been force carbed or nitrogenated is a different matter however! It's how it was brewed to be served. The flavours are more prevalent - your taste buds get a better chance to appreciate this at a slightly higher temperature. Medically proven.

That said, I stick some pale ales in the fridge for hours and most beers in for at least 30 mins for a lower that usual temperature.

I also like some well made 'kegged' and nitrogenated beers - the Marstons New World Pale Ale us a belter on draught!

Thought provoking post - I guess it's summarised as good stuff is good, and duff stuff is duff - in all respective categories! And some of that is also just down to personal preference.

! Flat, room temperature beer! I just dont get the hype, Beer is supposed to be carbonated and be cool/cold (depending on beer style of course).

I do have to respectfully disagree with this - I cannot remember the last time I had a "carbonated" real ale, I understand if you are talking about a cream flow such as john smiths or bodingtons etc. Nothing from a proper hand pump should be fizzy at all, and should be nowhere near as cold in temp as a Larger type beer or a guinness etc. I do like cooler ale when at home and do have it out of the fridge but in a pub it should only be slightly under room temp - ie cellar temp as mentioned above.

I will be working at a beer festival this weekend and in order to keep the kegs slightly cooler we will have to have wet material such as hessian sack over the kegs and keep wetting them regularly - as they do at most beer festivals

I found that many Australian and American ales, yes they can brew beer and are rather good as it too, tend to be more gassy, served colder and has a higher ABV.

At first it was a bit weird but when you get over that, you get to taste some right good tasting ales, on the other side of the pond/world.

If you ever get yourself to the north west of the US especially the area around Seattle, starting in Vancouver in Canada all the way down past Portland Oregon. You will need weeks and a dedicated driver, because you will be spoiled rotten with choice.

I do like an ale with a bit of gas and without, I think it is down to the beer, weather and the taster.

A beer that isn't carbonated (naturally or forced) doesn't have much of a head. Canny stand a flat looking pint.

Lets face it, after 5 pints of near room temperature beer, my tastebuds are done. 5 pints of cool beer that is more carbonated goes down nicer and is more refreshing. Its how you would serve it from a bottle.

Something my dad often says about real ale is that the inconsistency is part of what makes it good. You'll never say 'ooh, that was a good beer' if it was exactly the same as every other pint you've had (I'm looking at you, Carlsberg et al!). Cask beer will sometimes be a bit off, but when it's right it's bliss, the fact that you've gone through a few mediocre or even bad pints make the good ones seem better.
Alternatively, knowing which pubs keep their beers in good condition is handy. Until recently I lived in Lancaster where there were a few pubs that were notorious for serving stale or off beer, even if they only had a couple of beer engines. On the other hand there were a couple that had 8 (or more) beers on at once and had excellent reputations.

Latest posts

Back