My first all grain brew 1 gallon!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispn

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I've just spent a good few hour yesterday making the Brooklyn Brew Kit Oatmeal Stout! It's sitting in a wee darkened space at a comfortable temperature bubbling away! Very satisfying! The smell from the grains was very nice and toasty while the hit from the hops (pellets in this instance) was truly delightful and really allows you to get an idea of the aroma of the final product.

This is my first all grain brew and I have to say it was an enjoyable experience. I can see why some ppl might say a 1 gal brew is a lot of effort for little result but the 1 gallon size is perfect for my home set up and made it a very accessible first AG brew. If you're thinking about trying all grain this is a good way to get into it without needing huge pots etc etc.

I'm not suddenly gonna upgrade to a 40 pint all grain set up just yet but would be tempted to make a mash tun out of some food grade plastic tubs for the next brew as it should make things a little less hands on in a good way (not that the mashing was a hardship).

I've three more Brooklyn kits and I wanna brew then all this week but will stagger the brew every three days or so....... feck it I might stick another on now for fun ;)

Do you have a big pot? BiAB is an awesome way to brew all grain without the equipment.

Ive gone back to doing 5L BIAB from 23L as everything is faster. Heating up strike water, doughing in, the boil cooling the wort etc, etc. It's all a lot quicker with only 5L. Also as I dont have a brew fridge and limited room in my flat I cant brew in summer as I cant keep the FV cool, but with only a 5L FV I can put it in a bucket with ice water. I'm planning on doing a few 23L brews to get my stocks back up in winter (as the corner in the kitchen that I keep my 23L FV stays around 20C during the winter) but I think I'm going to stick to doing 5L batches

i would love to see some info on doing 5l brews, the reason i stay away from doing AL(some sort) is the space needed for all the equipment

i would love to see some info on doing 5l brews, the reason i stay away from doing AL(some sort) is the space needed for all the equipment

Do a bit of googling on "small batch brewing"

I follow the instucructions from the website below. When you do the water calculations just remember that a US gallon is different from an imperial gallon (which I didn't the first time I did a 5L AG). Also I find the chap's estimation of 0.12 US G for grain absorption pretty accurate and have never had to change/tinker with this amount as he suggests

http://brewing.lustreking.com/articles/stovetopallgrain.html

Yeah I bough a big pot - bigger than I needed actually so if I up my brew volume I'm good. I got a 12litre pot but manage to do the initail mashing in a dutch oven style cast iron pot.

I did another brew kit the following day after thios, the Belgian Blonde and again quite enjiyed it. I do think I'll fashion a mash tun out of some food tubs (my housemate is a chef and has access to these) so thats my project for next week when I'll do another kit!

I'm going to have 4 different brews all ready and bottled for drinking at Christmas. With a bigger size brew I'd only have space for one 19l brew and even then I'd be push for space!

Yeah I bough a big pot - bigger than I needed actually so if I up my brew volume I'm good. I got a 12litre pot but manage to do the initail mashing in a dutch oven style cast iron pot.

I did another brew kit the following day after thios, the Belgian Blonde and again quite enjiyed it. I do think I'll fashion a mash tun out of some food tubs (my housemate is a chef and has access to these) so thats my project for next week when I'll do another kit!

I'm going to have 4 different brews all ready and bottled for drinking at Christmas. With a bigger size brew I'd only have space for one 19l brew and even then I'd be push for space!

Just so you're aware, doing maxi BIAB you'd probably be able to do a 14L or 15L brew length using your 12L pot. I have a 20L pot and can easily do 23L/24L brews.

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=352

It was a couple of Brooklyn kits that began my journey into AG.

I went 1 gallon batches, then 2 gallon batches, then plastic 3 vessel setup 5 gallon batches, then corny kegs and C02 for storage serving, then stainless 3 vessel setup and now a Braumeister.

Enjoy your journey :)

Back