Bits & Bobs Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
I was gonna order some more hops but thought I'd make do with what I had so ended up using the following.

25g Hallertau (45 min boil)
25g Styrian Golding (15 min boil)
40g Saaz (15 min boil)
500g Light Crystal Malt (15-20 min steep)
1KG Dextrose
1KG Light DME
1KG Medium DME

Gervin Ale Yeast (Wilko) - Pitched @ 21c

OG: 1038

No idea what this is gonna be like but fingers crossed!

From research I done there seemed to be a few Belgian Triples with similar hops used, I also used a small amount of coriander but I've got a feeling that the flavour won't come through but hoping for a slight hint.

Ok so we're about 9 days in and it's just about bubbling every so often. The banana and fruity citrus smells from the esters were goooood but it's now developed in to a classic pilsner type smell. I'm gonna take a gravity reading later, hope it taste as good as it smells!

Sadly this is one for drain! I read my notes and pitched at 23c, not 21! Not really sure if that makes a massive difference in all honesty. I've never had this odd taste with beer ever, though I have had it with wine which is why I don't bother with wine.

I can't really put my finger on the smell/taste. I wanna say it's plaster (band-aid) like but then it's maybe somewhat clove like. I did use chlorine to clean but I rinsed like mad and then added SMB to help rid any chlorine.

EDIT: Actually spent hops went in the FV as well so maybe that had something to do with it?

You don't want to know what temps I've pitched at before and given time the beers been fine.
Give it a chance,some of my best brews have been rank at bottling stage but have transformed over a few weeks.
23??? Theres nowt wrong with that in my book !:cheers:

It will probably end up being one of the nicest beers ever, I like using leftovers for a brew, makes it more fun when your not quite sure of the result :drink:

I hope so! I'm gonna do a taste test tomorrow as it's now totally stopped bubbling.... fingers crossed!

Like other chaps have said.. you can make some rancid nasty stuff at bottling time and taste heaven 4 months later. This happened to 2 brews I made in May. They were horrible in July, horrible in August, OK in September and now are fantastic. If it's got a tang still when going into he bottles stick them somewhere where they won't get too warm and come back to them in 2 months... I bet they are better and then again 2 months later to see what you actually made.

Latest posts

Back