Wilko pressure barrel blues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakejake

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using a Wilko pressure barrel for the first time and having one or two problems.

I'm about halfway down the barrel now and I've already had to use four Co2 cartridges in order to dispense the beer.

I've just used the fourth cartridge and only managed to dispense one and a half pints before the tap dried up completely.

When I screw the cartridge on to the barrel (inside the black plastic holder) there certainly seems to be a lot of gas which is just sprayed out into the room rather than into the barrel. This must be the problem, I suppose, but I can't see how to screw the cartridge on any differently. I do it as quickly as I can!

I'm pretty sure I've got a good seal between the black plastic, screw-on cap and the barrel (nicely lubricated with Vaseline.) The gas seems to be escaping between the gas cartridge and the metal valve on the black plastic cap.

Any thoughts, seasoned pressure barrel users?

Cheers,
Jake (opening a bottle of stout instead)

Get yourself a metal cartridge holder as they seem to be better 8/10 times. With the plastic one, once you put the cartridge in, take a small bit of paper or card and jam it on the inside between the plastic and the cartridge and make sure the cartridge is dead straight and then give it a go. It's not perfect but seems to do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-CO2...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2a3520fc0b

Thanks very much. The paper trick sounds like a good tip. I'll try it before getting a metal holder.

If you think you've got leaks here's a thing you might try. When the barrel is empty, 3/4 fill it with water (so you won't use tons of CO2) and charge it with CO2 like you normally would do. Tape some plastic round the top of the barrel with waterproof tape, so you make a kind of bowl on the top of the barrel that you can fill with water. Any leaks will show up as bubbles escaping.
If your seal between the cap and the barrel isn't leaking then after you've primed the barrel you should have pressure for at least half of the barrel, and sometimes you can get right down to the tap and still have pressure.
I don't use gas cartridges myself. I tried them many years ago and found them an expensive waste of money. If my barrel runs out of pressure half way down I quickly whip the cap off and chuck in another 3oz sugar to re-prime it, put it back in the warm undisturbed for a week or so and hey presto, I've got pressure to the end of the barrel. When the pressure runs out though, make sure you don't keep on taking beer out with the tap glugging. Every pint you draw out is a pint of air going in and that'll ruin your beer after a few days.

Latest posts

Back