Hangovers from hell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
hello all

I could never be accused of not liking a drink [emoji15] but the hangovers (2) I've had after 4 or 5 pints of TC (7.5%) are shocking !

Really bad headaches, is that an accepted part of the home brew experience haha ?

I'm one of those people who regularly lie to my GP about how many units of alcohol I drink per week, but I've got to say if you're regularly getting through 4 to 5 pints of 7.5% homebrew, the headaches won't be bothering you for too many years to come...

Eat and drink water before, during and after enjoying strong drinks.

Though that said my "moonshine" does give me a much more "windier afterthought" :-)

5 pints at 7.5% is over 21 units of alcohol. That's enough to give most people a hangover.

5 pints at 7.5% is the same as over 9 pints at 4%, which would be your 'session strength' ABV. 9 pints is a massive session if you ask me.

Take it easy!

It's actually 18.75 units. I've also noticed that drinking a comparable amount of HB units to commercial drink units elicits a far greater headache and dehydration the next day.

What the heck was that formula?! :)

Whatever the ABV is, if you're drinking 500ml, you half it. Aka 7.5% in 500ml is 3.75 units. So 5 pints is 18.75 units. I know a pint is 568ml. but we all use 500ml bottles (or litre/2 litre PET) so I base it on 500ml.

I don't know how your method works, it seems far to easy to be right haha. I guess you only need a formula when drunkenly trying to negotiate around 330ml, Pints and glasses of wine combined haha. But we're coming out with the same answer because I've been doing it on pints.

Using the same formula that I do has the same answer as you. 2500 x 0.075 = 187.5ml = 18.75 units.

What a difference 68ml makes :drink:

Err... that's interesting, but I just looked up in the back of my admittedly ancient Collins dictionary and it says 1 pint = 570ml
570 x 5 = 2850
2850 x .075 = 213.75 ie 21.3 units.

"we all use 500ml bottles". No we don't, and if we do we don't call them a pint! :cheers:

I don't know how your method works, it seems far to easy to be right haha. I guess you only need a formula when drunkenly trying to negotiate around 330ml, Pints and glasses of wine combined haha. But we're coming out with the same answer because I've been doing it on pints.

Using the same formula that I do has the same answer as you. 2500 x 0.075 = 187.5ml = 18.75 units.

What a difference 68ml makes :drink:

Haha, sorry, I've now robbed you of those free units you were getting! They were probably the ones that gave you the hangover :D

Cwrw666 - a pint is definitely 568ml! Ha I amend my statement - the majority of people I would assume use bottles. Who has the space to store multiple kegs for months on end (not to mention needing a kegerator) - not me!

Latest posts

Back