Rhino farts from WOW & TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatCol

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently made up some 1 gallon batches of WOW, Turbo Cider and the punch made with Robinsons No Added Sugar concentrates.

Now here's the weird thing - ALL of them have got the rhino farts smell & taste...

What's most puzzling, is that some where made using a Ritchies Yeast Compound and some where made using the Youngs Super Yeast compound, as I wanted to compare them.

All where given a teaspoon of Wilko Yeast Nutrient and proper sanitation was followed. The temperature was fairly stable at 18-21C and all fermented well. I use bottled water (Asda Value) and some where made with Tate & Lyle sugar, others with Whitworths. All were pitched at around 21C. Bottles were washed and given the StarSan treatment before bottling.

The WOWs were made using Asda juices

The TC was made using the Aldi apple juice

I tried one of the Robinson fruit punches last night and it smelled and tasted of farts - not nice :shock:

Given that you are talking about 7 different brews, I suspect an infection is almost out of the question.

So basically, I'm at a loss to explain this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Also, what are the chances of the farts dissipating over time? Or is it a case of ditch them, and get some more on?

Any input welcome.

FatCol:cheers:

The hard-boiled egg smell you are referring to is a sulphur odour. This sulphur smell in your home-made wine comes from hydrogen sulphide.

Hydrogen sulphide is a compound that is naturally produced during a wine fermentation. All wine fermentations will produce some hydrogen sulphide.

The hard-boiled egg smell you are referring to is a sulphur odour. This sulphur smell in your home-made wine comes from hydrogen sulphide.

Hydrogen sulphide is a compound that is naturally produced during a wine fermentation. All wine fermentations will produce some hydrogen sulphide.

So the question being, will it dissipate over time?

I degas the WOW & TC when I rack them into a secondary to clear, but the smell still persists, and it can be tasted too.

Is there anything that will remove/counteract the smell/taste?

I was interested in this so I did some googling and found this
"stir with a small diameter, copper tube i picked up from the hardware store for 5 bucks. i stir vigorously for 3-5 minutes, getting some air into it and disturbing the lees on the bottom to make it all cloudy. the slight oxidation will remove body, but stirring up the fine lees will add more body back in.
after doing this, check again in one week. you almost certainly won't smell it. wait.
check again 3 weeks after stirring, often it comes back and you need to repeat this again. if its all good after three weeks, you should be set."
from http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/215/hydrogen-sulfide-bad-cider-smell/p1

Latest posts

Back