Hello!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecilquentin

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just joined the forum so looking fwd to participating. Bit of a newbie to brewing but I've done some "brew in the bag" and wilko's type brewkits so far. Just moved to a house where we've got room to fit some more robust kit so I'd like to try some 3 pot brews soon with the full on grain experience!!

Bye for now!

C.

BiAB is such a great way to get into all grain brewing looking forward to seeing what you brew!

try a biab brew before spending all the extra time and cash to set up a fully kitted out 3 vessel brewery, not only may it satisfy all your brewing needs if you do decide you could benefit from extra kit like a dedicated tun and or hlt you can then invest from a more informed position.

Shouldn't I bother then?!

It's great way to get started at all grain, not the best way :drunk: BiAB helped me understand the process and get an idea of the size and style of system I wanted. My 3 vessel all grain beers kill my biab beers just like my BiAB beers crushed my extract beers. Its a learning process each step you increase your knowledge. With my 3 vessel system I do lots of high gravity beers, 2 partigyles and large volume batches which is something I could never do with BiAB.

What 3 vessel system are you planning?

Welcome to the forum.
Go with whatever system takes your fancy. I like the three vessel system as it means I have more to play and tinker with.:-D

I must admit as an engineer I do enjoy a good tinker and a bit of fettling! It may even be more appealing to me than the brew...! :-o

I'm very tempted to construct my own 3 vessel system (so far as is practicable) as I can't help but think that the ones I'm finding seem a bit steep for some pots which ultimately hold liquid while it's heating up or cooling down! What's a good price for a 30 ish litre 3 vessel system?

Any thoughts on materials? I'm sure the many plastics would do a decent enough job, but do they taint the brew? Do they clean up well enough? And are they durable enough?

I have only recently upgraded to a 50ltre s/s boiler (it was a discounted second that I couldn't resist when I went to the homebrew shop to buy some grain) but managed perfectly well with the following kit:

Mash tun - 25 litre FV with added tap and homemade strainer made out of ally plate cut to fit just above tap with lots of small holes in. Insulated with the stuff that goes behind radiators.

Boiler - 30 litre FV with added tap and kettle element. Ready made hop filter (not deer to buy or could make out of some copper tubing). Vent added.

Hot liquor tank - Same as boiler but without hop filter (did add temp gauge)

Counter flow chiller - about 5m of small bore copper pipe encased in garden hose and a few connectors.

Plenty of scope for tinkering with the above. I still haven't stopped and as you say its almost as much fun as actually producing the beer.

The above is good for a 25 litre final volume although you have to fill the boiler fairly high so have to watch out for boilover.

Last edited:
Back