my first brew. has it stalled?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zypher

Reaction score
Hi.

Currently brewing a coopers Australian larger kit with coopers brew enhancer 1. Its now been in the fermenter for 10 days and just took my first gravity reading . Its now at 1.016 and og was 1.039.

Its still quite cloudy. Is this on track or has it stalled?

Tastes ok bit harsh but i expect that would mellow once it conditions.

Dont plan on bottling till mon at least but would have thought it would be clearer and have a lower gravity by now. Its sitting ariund 21c.

Hi.

Currently brewing a coopers Australian larger kit with coopers brew enhancer 1. Its now been in the fermenter for 10 days and just took my first gravity reading . Its now at 1.016 and og was 1.039.

Its still quite cloudy. Is this on track or has it stalled?

Tastes ok bit harsh but i expect that would mellow once it conditions.

Dont plan on bottling till mon at least but would have thought it would be clearer and have a lower gravity by now. Its sitting ariund 21c.

If the FV is somewhere it stays at 21C it will not have stalled. No chance. At that sort of temp, a Coopers kit will be pretty much done.

So - Did it taste sweet? Does the room the FV is in drop much below 20C over night?

Is your gravity reading accurate?
The main issue with FG readings is the amount of CO2 that sticks onto the hydrometer and the bubbles push up the hydrometer to give a false reading.

Best test for a new brewer on when to bottle this type of brew - does it still taste sweet or is it dry?

Dry = can bottle when clear.
Sweet = leave to ferment.

Good news took another reading today and it was 1.014 so guess its still doing its job. Just talking a bit longer than i would havr thought.

I brewed one of these kits and I found it took 2weeks to finish fermenting then bottled and 2weeks later was drinkable, but getting better.

Scaff

Ok i need a little help. Its still sitting around 1.014.
I gave it a stir but doesnt seam to have helped. Its still quite cloudy and is reasonably sweet.

Any tips or should i give up the ghost and bottle it?

Mine was 1014 when I bottled it after 16 days in the FV but it was clear and not sweet.

Latest posts

Back