Burton Bridge Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Burton Bridge Bitter 22/05/14. Brewed with 500g Medium spray malt and 570g brewing sugaring. Temp at pitch high at about 24 as opposed to 21 that they suggested. Taste at brewing is nice dark and malty. Bottled this on Sunday 8th June when OG reached 1010. Nice tasting beer with a kind of spicy aftertaste, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Tasted on 13th June..before even going to the garage! Really lovely smooth tasting beer although still a bit green...if this is allowed to I think it will be a good one.

Update 04/10/14. Pretty disappointing beer. Very little head retention following initial foam. Smell is nice, somewhat alcoholically with fruity tinge and a kind of liquorice/spicy nose. Taste follows this to a small extent but the overwhelming taste is of a beer that hasn't been fermented out and still has all the fruity/sour taste without the balance of bitters So smell and look (a nice darkish brown) are good, but taste not really up to the advertising! If I got this in a pub I would be questioning how they kept their beers its that un-beer like. Not unpleasant but certainly disappointing IMHO.

PS Although most people who have tried this beer compliment it on how "smooth" it is.

Would have to agree with the above comments, no fireworks for me, very average.
Brewed short (20l), with beer enhancer, 6 weeks in the bottle, not much of a head, but carbonation ok.
Pleasant enough taste, just not quite worth the wait.

This was a Christmas present which I wouldn't normally have bought myself, but to do it justice (and in appreciation of my brewing hometown) I decided to do something different with it. So..
- One kit can
- 500g H&B LME
- 500g Golden Syrup
plus a micromash of 500g Pale Malt, 100g Torrified Wheat, and 100g Crystal Malt.
Kit yeast replaced by a culture of a Shepherd Neame 1698 yeast.
Brewed to 22litres, OG about 1.048.
What happened with the primary and how the yeast performed is in a separate post
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60341&highlight=1698.
Ten days days in the first FV, then racked off to second FV for a five day dry hop with 50g Celeia hops (chosen as the closest I could get at the time to the Burton Bridge Brewery late hop http://www.burtonbridgebrewery.co.uk/Bridge/Beers/Bridge.shtml)
FG 1.014.
Eight litres into bottles, the rest into a PB.
Sampling after a few days quite apple fruity. Now four weeks on and the PB is nearly empty. :-(
The fruity taste has mellowed but now full bodied malty taste with a hint of toffee apple, not too sweet and a good balance of hops. Amber colour with a lasting lacing down the glass.
Definitely one of the best bitter kits I have done and for me much more preferable to a Wherry, and worth all the faff with the yeast.
One to do again.
I may update if the bottles are any different, but I intend to leave them alone for a while.

Just opened the last bottle of this brew (see above), now four months old. It did go through a phase of a slight home brew 'twang' about two months back, but this has now gone.
The lacing effect down the glass has also gone, the fruit has disappeared and there is not much nose to speak of :-(, but the rich toffee taste is still there.
It has mellowed into a good beer, and for me is better than a Wherry as I said before.
Nonetheless my tastes seemed to have moved on to lighter, hoppy, 'tangy' bitters, so I might not do it again. But if you like this sort of thing it might be worth giving it a go.

Latest posts

Back