Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > John Bull Traditional English Ale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
jamesw

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

John bull ipa is my fav can kit, tho I've not done many. Has anyone made both and could explain the taste difference?

Old 21-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
LarryF
Brew Numpty

Liked 686 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobrews View Post
I just bottled this kit (40 bottles) but I added 500g spraymalt- medium, and 500g demerera and 100g challenger hops near the end. all fermented on the heating tray for near two weeks and now im waiting. im very excited. how long might it take? two weeks anyone? ps, I know I added a lot of hops.
twobrews, I've got this one to do, it'll be interesting to see how yours turns out. When trying a new beer I give it two weeks in the warm but I take one out and give it 2-3 days in the fridge and then I try it for the first time. I brew on a Saturday so it goes in the fridge on a Wednesday and I drink it on the Friday. Tomorrow night I try my John Bull IPA for the first time, can't wait.
Planning: Beer
The signature was starting to be hard work.

Old 21-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Redron

Liked 148 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
John bull ipa is my fav can kit, tho I've not done many. Has anyone made both and could explain the taste difference?
Just finished bottling both. The IPA and the English ale. Both brewed slightly short to 21 L with 1kg of dextrose and 500g of LME. OG of IPA was 1048 and fg 1008, so 5.2%. The English ale, 1047 and 1008 so 5%.
Will leave in the warm for a couple of weeks then condition in the cool for as long as I can resist....
I will report back.

P.s both took four weeks in the FV at a steady 20deg. No heaters used...

Last edited by Redron; 21-05-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Additional text

Old 28-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
flash

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

did this kit yesterday with some uk hops I had left over from previous brews,

1x kit can
1x 1.5kg light lme
350g dextrose
40g pilot hops @60min
25g whitbred golding hops @15min
5g endeavour hops @15mins
irish moss tab @10mins
1x wilko's gervin yeast
1x coopers yeast(left over from a previous brew)
boiled the lot in 10lt of water in my big stock pot then cooled it down to 35 degrees before straining it through a muslin bag straight into the fv, topped it up to 25lt with tap water giving a temp of 24 degrees so i pitched the yeast.
it's sitting at the top of my cellar stairs now where it is a constant 18-19 degrees at this time of year and is bubbling away nicely.

I will update as things progress

just thought,i forgot to take og reading

Old 30-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #15
Redron

Liked 148 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Ok, as promised, a report back.
Both have been bottled for nearly six weeks now and the truth is the IPA is nearly gone ! The difference between the two is not huge, the IPA is stronger and more hoppy, as you would expect. The English ale is smoother and a little creamier with a tighter head that lasts well in the glass.
They both have remnants of the home brew twang that is disappearing with time so I have taken the advice of a fellow forum member and secreted three bottles of each in a taped up box and into my shed with a note on 'not to be opened for six months! ' apparently I will never drink 'young' beer ever again when I taste the six month stuff. Been meaning to do it for a while now but never quite got round to it.....
I will report back.
HarrowBrewer Likes This 
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
flash

had this in the fv for two weeks now and its still bubbling every 5-6 minutes,took a hydrometer reading yesterday which was 1012 so I will probably leave it for another week and see where it is at the weekend, smelt lovely mind.

Old 18-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #17
flash

ok,down to 1010 on Thursday so I bottled it,tasted quite nice straight out of the fv but we'll see what its like in 4 weeks.

Old 26-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
RichK

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm just drinking this now. Brewed as per instructions except I did a light touch of dry hopping (fuggles in for just a day). End result is perfectly drinkable though slightly bland. If I did this again, then I'd brew a little short & be a bit more adventurous with the dry hopping. Alternatively, perhaps their IPA might suit me better? I'll just have to try one

Old 26-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
terrym

Liked 1603 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
I'm just drinking this now. Brewed as per instructions except I did a light touch of dry hopping (fuggles in for just a day). End result is perfectly drinkable though slightly bland. If I did this again, then I'd brew a little short & be a bit more adventurous with the dry hopping. Alternatively, perhaps their IPA might suit me better? I'll just have to try one
When I did the JB IPA some months ago it was very much an English IPA. So if you are expecting it to be 'bursting with citrus' similar to American IPAs you may be disappointed unless of course you have a big bag of American hops to be used up.

Old 28-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #20
Clint

Liked 1121 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 268

I have an English ale left and a couple of tins of coopers dark malt extract...loads of maris otter;crystal,carapils,choc etc...any suggestions? ?
Lots of yeast choice too....SO4, wilko,cml American, real,wheat,cali..