Sampling my first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weenie

Reaction score
It's been over 5 weeks since I decided to try my hand at my first home brew.

Finally couldn't resist trying a bottle (or three!) and I must say I'm quite pleased with the results!

beerdrink_zps920982c7.png

So, Coopers Australian lager, OG was 1047, FG was 1014. 16 days in FV, 14 days in warm (19 degrees), a week in cold (ish, 15 degrees - in the garage). I managed to get 43 bottles (500ml).

Beer is darker in colour than lager, a little bit more bitter, not very strong alcoholic-wise, but definitely drinkable.

I used Coopers Carbonation drops in half the batch and half a teaspoon of table sugar in the other half.

The beer with the table sugar was a little bit fizzier but actually, no real difference between the two so in future, I'll just use the normal sugar as it's a lot cheaper!

Beer is pretty clear, with only a tiny bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

All in all, an enjoyable brewing experience, am really happy with the results - friends and colleagues queueing up to try!

The info on this forum has been really helpful, so thanks all!

Look forward to getting my next batch on!

That looks really, really good mate, well done !

My first brew (Milestone Lions Pride) went in the keg 2 weeks ago and my second (Coopers Mexican Cerveza) is ready for bottling this weekend.

Hope mine turn out as well as yours looks !

Well Done, just a couple of things for future reference....check your hydrometer and liquor measurements. Your OG and FG look fine but there is no way you can get 43 x 500ml out of a kit. Its probably down to your measuring of the liquor/water. This will explain the lack of alcohol. Don't believe the measuring scale on any FV.
HTH Johnnyboy

Latest posts

Back