Apple cider with a juicer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
So got given a juicer and a load of apples, i juiced them but the juice has got a foam on it, ami right in thinking i should pass this through muslin/nylon netting then use the juice?

no need to do anything with it, any solids will be left behind after racking.
Yes I agree everything off the press goes in the barrel, I don't even rack I just tap off from above the sediment when it has cleared.

What I did was skim off the foam and added it to the ejected pulp which I then pressed, giving an extra 20% juice. The foam contains a fairly small amount of juice.

Thanks, unfortunately i don't have a barrel with tap i can use. Can i juice the apples and then add to demijohns??

Thanks, unfortunately i don't have a barrel with tap i can use. Can i juice the apples and then add to demijohns??

Yes I put what will not fit in the barrel, into a demijohn, and siphon off from above the sediment layer, you just have to be careful not to stir the sediment up or you will have to let it settle again, this is easy in when working with clear glass but not so when it is in opaque plastic.

What I was really saying Is I do not rack in any way before bottling and have never found any adverse affect, I have had cider in the same barrel for over a 12 month and it is still fine. (the juice goes in the barrel when it comes off the press and stays there until i put a tap in and tip it over)

ok thanks, I've got a couple of demijohns bubbling away with layer of frothy bubbles on top, when this dies down i just top it up i guess?

Yes the few I have are full to just above the shoulder, and that is how they will stay until I bottle.

Can i use a fermenting bin instead of demijohns? so put juice into bin and yeast and leave til clear

Has your bin got an airlock fitted to it? the ones i have don't

I was more replying to the dump everything in together and leave it alone until bottling.
No I don't use bins I use wide neck fermenters for small amounts and 205l plastic barrels for larger quantity's, the FVs come with airlock holes and the barrels, I just drill a 28mm hole in one of the bungs.

I was more replying to the dump everything in together and leave it alone until bottling.
No I don't use bins I use wide neck fermenters for small amounts and 205l plastic barrels for larger quantity's, the FVs come with airlock holes and the barrels, I just drill a 28mm hole in one of the bungs.

at the minute I've got about 4 gallons in a 5 gallon fermenting bin, covered, its currently fermenting will this be ok in there or do i need to move it into DJ?

It should be fine as long as it is fermenting as the co2 will keep the surface free from oxygen, and as long as it is covered so no bugs can get in I don't see a problem.

It should be fine as long as it is fermenting as the co2 will keep the surface free from oxygen, and as long as it is covered so no bugs can get in I don't see a problem.
its got a thick layer on top at the minute from the fermenting process, and it is covered with the lid, any idea how long it usually takes til its cleared enough to bottle?

What I made last year was clear by Christmas, may have been sooner I don't know, but that is when I taped the first barrel.
Back then it was very sharp and acidic and needed sweetening to drink, but left until this June and it was not a bad drink just needed more tannin. But the leave for 6 - 9 months seems to be the answer for me (I made enough last year to see me through to next year).

I had the same issue last year if you look back in my posts. Basically the brown crust refused to mix in so I just scraped most of it off and threw it, I left a thin layer on to protect the fermenting brew.

My process included using a brew bin for the initial fermenting (F), you don't need to do anything elaborate if it's in a clean place, just clip the lid on fully, then pull it apart very slightly in one area so the gas can escape, but nothing can get in.
If you need to know whether it's completely stopped or not just clip the lid on fully and see if it bows up and how quickly, you soon learn to read what is going on.
After the initial F was over and it had cleared a bit I syphoned off into DJs to let it clear even further, at this point you can add more sugar or other things like Honey, Cranberry etc.
When it had cleared completely and finished F a few weeks later it was bottled off.

Do I need to put in a campden tablet in the DJ when racking cider like I do with wine?

It's up to you, you can, but I never do, I prefer to keep it as simple and chemical free as possible. I just make sure everything is clean.

Latest posts

Back