Too hot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichM

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a 2 can kit on the go, been 6 days so I tested the gravity. Gone from 1040 to 1014, but the temperature was at 32 degrees as I'm using a brew belt. Have I now killed the yeast?

Yeast will be alive OK, but at 32C it is not as good at converting sugars to ethanol. There are some other not-too-pleasant by-products at this temperature and you may need to take a view on whether it is worth drinking. :doh:

Not ideal! I don't think it has been at 32 for too long - we haven't had the heating on and it's only recently got warmer. The brew belt was around the top quarter and on a timer (15 mins on, 15 mins off), with beach towels over it. Is it worth tasting some and taking a view, or seeing it through second fermentation?

What kit is it you have done, this time of year you should not need a belt and beach towel,

you have to think that the lower the temp the yeast are happy. and liquid will not change as fast as the air temp.
in the day right now we are seeing 18-20c, and on a night 7-9c the delta temp would be around 15c. that sort of temps are fine. fermentation will slow on a night and speed up on a day.

ppl should not panic about temps as much as they do, its easier to heat up a stopped fermentation then it is to fix over heated yeast

It's Milestone Lions Pride - I leave it in the kitchen, but thought it had to be mid 20's?

you can go down to 15c no problem.
you should be ok there will be some off flavors all that can be said is finish the kit and try it. you could take a little taste now it will not be super but you will know if its bad.

also if your going to use a brew belt have it just on a night and not 15/15 more like 15on/45off some of them belts kick out some right heat. when your brew is done fill you FV will water @about 10c and see how long it take to hit 20 will it on all the time

I dont have a brew belt but have read many times they are a pain in the **** to use as you have to move them up and down the bucket/DJ until you find the spot where the temperature does not fluctuate, this was posted in the forum a couple of years ago, looks like a very good and cheap solution.

Heather fitted to FV
IMG_20120428_171205.jpg

Filled FV
IMG_20120428_182456.jpg

Sealed and cooking
IMG_20120428_184638.jpg

I dont have a brew belt but have read many times they are a pain in the **** to use as you have to move them up and down the bucket/DJ until you find the spot where the temperature does not fluctuate, this was posted in the forum a couple of years ago, looks like a very good and cheap solution.

Heather fitted to FV
IMG_20120428_171205.jpg

Filled FV
IMG_20120428_182456.jpg

Sealed and cooking
IMG_20120428_184638.jpg

I've not done too many brews but I've read quite a bit on heating solutions and brew belts just sounded like far to much hard work. I've just got my fv sitting in a bigger bucket filled with water and a fish tank heater in the bigger bucket and my brew is a constant 20 degrees. I've had to tweak the setting on the heater since the weather got colder but it's a very simple, and cheap, solution. I'm about to get another fv and think I'll use the same setup for that one.

A brew belt used in conjunction with an stc 1000 is a good option. My plan was always to have a fermentation fridge which i now have, so i built the stc 1000 a few months before I had the fridge and it worked great with a brew belt. Just set the temp, insulate the probe on the outside of the fv with some bubble wrap and it'll turn it on and off for you as needed. The stc cost less than the brew belt to make too.

My stc 1000 now controls my fridge which fits 2 fv's or 1+ 40 odd bottles. Worthwhile investment

20140915_155921.jpg

Latest posts

Back