wow question from a novice!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdg

Reaction score
hi I have started a couple of WOWs going, how long approx. do I leave them (both bubbling nicely through the airlock)
and what do I do then ? I have the campden tablets and some stabilizer, but have been browsing various threads and have now totally comfused myself ! do I need to clear ? filter ? sorry to sound dumb :(

i don't know if its my computer or I am missing something but the videos are not showing, blank spaces were they where ??

You just sit there and leave it until all the yeast has dropped to the bottom and the wine has turned completely clear again. Minimum I've seen this happen is 4 weeks, generally it's closer to 6 weeks. When it is completely clear, carefully lift the demijohn onto the kitchen top and transfer the wine to another container using a syphon tube. Stop when you're about to start sucking yeast sediment up the syphon, but it won't do you any harm if there's a bit in there. If you prop up the demijohn on one side with a thick book you'll find it easier to get the last bit out without any yeast going in.

thanks chippy, also lots of Chinese symbols everywhere on the site at the mo , very weird !

Chippy, my wow is still bubbling in the airlock but my hydrometer is saying its ready to bottle ?? which should I go by ????

reading was 990 and once every couple of minutes, taster was very err dry !!!

reading was 990 and once every couple of minutes, taster was very err dry !!!

At .990 its ready to rack to the second DJ, i rarely use my hydrometer now as my wines are left for at least 3 weeks before i rack, after 3 weeks there is no sign of life. :lol:

If its too dry for your taste you can back sweeten after stabilising.

my wilko red turned out ok but very watery for a red, nice taste though so have mixed it half and half with a too sweet rose I had done(stopped it at sweet ) the result is a very fruit rose that is lush so more than happy ! however the wow I did (apple MAngo and red grape) my god it nearly blew my head off ! think it was too close to the snakes viv and fermented out, so have bunged some sugar in and bottled it and going to use it for punch as the taste is nice but its very very strong ! but nice with lemonade as a kind of schnapps . having so much fun with this !

thanks chippy, whats the best way to back sweeten ?

I used to put a teaspoon of sugar in the bottle just before drinking then give it a good shake, its not the best method as it doesn't dissolve properly but it does the job. (i have now got used to a dryer wine so no longer back sweeten)

You can also use grape juice.

If you make your WOW using the videos in post one of the supermarket juice recipe thread (HERE) then stop it at .995 it will be a little sweeter, the ABV will be a little lower but not by much.

Latest posts

Back