Kilner Bitter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed 18/10/14 - really easy pouch system with screw lid which helps when rinsing out with warm water to get the rest of the wort out. No additives with this kit apart from the yeast. Pitched at 21 degrees and OG before pitch was 1044 as I brewed short to about 21 litres. Taste before pitch is cold, malty and sweet but there is no real mouth feel at the back of mouth with it being very smooth at the front but no real bitterness.

this was my first ever kit, that i got as a present, came out really well not a strong beer but tasted good, now im hooked and have been busy since april brewing away

Bottled this tonight after a long wait to get it down from 1020. Put a blanket around it but even then only got it down to 1014/16 so rather than continue waiting I have bottled it using Kilner caps which are a bugger on normal non Kilner bottles but doable unlike normal caps on Hob Goblin bottles..

This beer tastes a bit sour at this stage, not unpleasant but not great either. Didn't bother finishing the sample jar hydrometer test beer, so that says something I suppose. Anyway, I will see how it turns out. Moved it to the dinning room for warm (ish) conditioning and probably wont touch this again until Christmas.

So after a few weeks cold conditioning this beer looks good, nice colour, good head etc however, it is a really really really average pint. It tastes like a cross between homebrew and a pint of bitter that you might have got in a working mans club in the 1980s. Bland but homebrewey would not do this beer a disservice. Luckily I only paid £12.50 for it when Sainsburys were off loading them rather than £30 odd quid they are selling them for in Wilko now. It may change by Christmas but if not I would say that pound for pound this is the worse beer for taste that I have done.

Just wondering how this turned out if you can remember!
I picked this up in Asda today for £14.

Pretty new to this, have been brewing kits since December last year and interested in tweaking this kit a bit.

Any suggestions on what I could try would be welcome.

As the OP stuck, swapping out the yeast for starters.

Spray malt and/or a dry hop are obvious suggestions.

Enjoy whatever you go for.

Just wondering how this turned out if you can remember!
I picked this up in Asda today for �£14.

Pretty new to this, have been brewing kits since December last year and interested in tweaking this kit a bit.

Any suggestions on what I could try would be welcome.

I would also add some hops to dry hop this beer. I am afraid this was one of the most uninteresting beers I have made, except maybe the single can kits of Wilkinsons Hoppy Copper or Geordie Winter Warmer. I was very disappointed with this one especially when you see the price it goes for in Wilkinsons.

I've just put one of these on. Brewed to 23L but I added 500g light spraymalt which brought the OG up to 1.048. I also swapped the kit yeast for a pack of S04 which is bubbling away nicely under the stairs.

I imagine I will dry hop this after a couple of weeks based on the comments above. Will keep you updated!

Just picked one of these up in Asda for a bargain 7 quid. Gonna chuck in 500gms of soft brown sugar i have in the cupboard to bump the abv a little. Idea being to make it as cheap as possible just to test out my new pressure barrel or may not even add the sugar and just brew it short.
I do have a citra hop tea bag thing (25gms) i bought on a whim i want to use up, is it worth doing a hop tea and bunging in primary or dry hopping with the citra pellets out of the bag after the fermentation has died down ?

Be interested to see how this one turns out Huw I have just bottled a kilner lager gonna do this one next

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hey bud havent had chance to get it going yet. Will do in the next few weeks. But as above im going to chuck in some brown sugar and a citra hop tea.

I wasn't that impressed with the Kilner kits.

First one I did was their lager - the bag had a slight Nick in it and air had got in - I was fairly inexperienced at the time and thought nothing of the small bubbles and odd smell of the wort when I started it.

2 days later and fart, eggs and drains were the overpowering smells - it went down the drain:

After rigorous cleaning I did the Kilner bitter kit.

Not a patch on Woodfordes kit, it was just as the weather was turning colder - and it took a long time to ferment.

My kit had left over sulphur'y smells for a long time afterwards, which took a long while to disappear from the bottles after a lot of Aging.

6 months odd in the bottle and it's quite pleasant now though. Wouldn't choose it above Woodfordes given a straight choice though.

The lager is OK not aged a lot yet but drinkable gone put on the bitter soon with some additional hops but not too concerned only paid £7 for it so won't be too disappointed I have a wherry to put on next looking forward to that

Got the bitter on this afternoon fella. Brewed short go 20 litres, bunged in a citra hop tea and 500gms of light brown sugar. Pitched yeast at 22degrees with a SG of 1.049. Will leave it two weeks in primary then gonna chuck it in my youngs PB to try it out. As u said if it goes **** up 7 quid isnt gonna break the bank. I got a woosfordes sundew, breferm framboos or wilko stout to chuck in next :-)

Huw funnily enough the fv is sanitising at the minute gonna put it on tonight gonna dry hop with fuggles goldings in about a week see how it goes like you say £7 is not the end of the world

Hops have been in for a day had a cheeky taste have to say not bad

Had a few tastes of this and havent been impressed with it tbh its been in the pb for 4 weeks now.
Just poured a glass out of the pb apart from it being very difficult to pour as its so frothy coming out of the tap its not a bad beer.
Deffo had worse. Not bad for the price £7 i think, wouldnt do it at tbe rediculous high price it seems to sell for on the wilko website.

I dry hopped and bottled Huw and gotta say very nice just tried my first wherry and that is a promising kit

Back