Heater to use with STC 1000

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1 foot 60 watt one with my STC1000 controller. My fermentation chamber (see photos on toolbar above) is probably 2-3 times the size of a fridge and no problems heating it.

25w fish tank heater. :)
the low Wattage will not shock the brew, because the heater is inside the brew there is no power wastage.

25w heater is made for a 25-40L tank, so its over kill for brewing

The advantage with the STC1000 and the heater for me was that my fermentation chamber could hold multiple demi-johns. I wasn't using 25l bins at the time.

The big disadvantage was, it was a lot of work for me building/wiring up the controller box, sockets and heater etc.

My new build, happening this week, will use (as Dave recommends) aquarium heaters. These are more suitable for multiple bins, cheaper, thermostatically controlled and... a lot less work. The particular model I've gone for is an HT-2050 from a huge online book/DVD retailer (not sure if I can mention names!). I've bought x3 of these at ~£7 each and x3 cheapo thermometers at less than £2 quid each to double check/monitor brew temps.

I'll re-use my stc1000 & heater for a demi-john only shelf somewhere...

hi there, not sure if this is any use to you, but I made mine with a light bulb at the bottom of the fridge and a light bulb at the top, I can fit to fermenters in the fridge, I then got hold of a pc computer fan and mounted it on an old tin, (chop the bottom out) and put it over the light bulb in the top off the fridge to move the heat around evenly, they take up less room than heaters.

You will need to have open shelves, and you will need a power pack to dc for the fan, and I use an underfloor heating thermostat, I may change that soon if I get a fridge that cools as well.

cheers Grant.

I have just built a controller for a surplus chest freezer.

I am using a small greenhouse heater.

I got the wiring diagram from this forum.

Will post a full description and pictures in the next few weeks.

I used an act-800, very simple to wire.

Latest posts

Back