Two kits one brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollo12345

Reaction score
I keep wondering the outcome of putting 2 kits of coopers lager and a kilo of coopers fermenting 2.
Please can anyone predict the outcome ie would it affect the strength.
Or what is the benefit of using 2 kits in 1 23ltr brew.
any help would be welcome. :hmm:

It would be rather strong, but also very bitter.

The single can kits contain enough hop bitterness to cover a 23 L batch, by doubling the cans you are effectively also doubling the bitterness. Whether this would be balanced out by the extra malt flavour I don't know, but I can't imagine it making a very nice tasting lager. You can up the body and flavour of a lager kit by using light spray malt instead of/as well as sugar.

I did a coopers lager kit using light 500 g light spray malt and 1000 g sugar, came out ok.

The coopers stout kits however are commonly doubled up, the Aussies call it a toucan IIRC. Extra bitterness is likely to be better tolerated when you have a lot more malt flavour to begin with.

Thank you helps a lot all I am looking for is a nice tasty lager but every thing i brew finishes flat and cloudy.

Thank you helps a lot all I am looking for is a nice tasty lager but every thing i brew finishes flat and cloudy.

Without wishing to patronise, after you have started the brew, what is your process?

To get fizzy and clear beer, you need to leave the kit for about two weeks to ferment out, then syphon into bottles or a keg. To the bottles/keg you need to add some sugar before capping. The yeast left in suspension will utilise the sugar to make a bit more alcohol, but plenty of co2, when capped this has nowhere to go so carbonates your beer. This is called priming, for a lager about 2/3rd tsp sugar per 500ml bottle will be about right.

To get it clear takes time or cooling after the beer has finished priming (leave about 2 weeks in bottle with sugar in a warm place). My coopers lager dropped clear after about 3 weeks in the bottle. The stout clears quicker.

So, try some spray malt instead of all the sugar, bottle with some sugar to prime then leave a few weeks to prime/clear. Should be a nice pint after that. Problem with most kits is that they underestimate the time required for marketing purposes.

Good luck mate.

I will try the spray malt I am probably to impatient but I will keep at it is it best to use granulated sugar for priming or use brewing sugar.
The main problem I have is when bottled to keep temp up as I use the immersion heater to brew it at 24% then bottled it is standing at approx 19% could this be causing a problem :hmm:

I will try the spray malt I am probably to impatient but I will keep at it is it best to use granulated sugar for priming or use brewing sugar.
The main problem I have is when bottled to keep temp up as I use the immersion heater to brew it at 24% then bottled it is standing at approx 19% could this be causing a problem :hmm:

Normal sugar or brew sugar will both work, but normal sugar is cheaper.

19 C is plenty warm enough, if your room is 19 C you probably don't need the immersion heater. How long was it in the bottle and how much sugar did you add?

Applied 5gr sugar and was in the bottles 2 weeks but when opened it was flat no gas from bottle and very cloudy.
Wife said if it was a boozer she would take it back and never return.

Back