Blending Kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Just something that crossed my mind last night.... could you blend wine kits together at the point of putting them in to ferment?

Specifically, I have been making Beaverdale 1 gallon kits. Could I chuck say a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Shiraz into the same bucket, topped up to 9 litres?

You could but I would make them separately then blend rather than making both in one bucket and ending up with nine litres of something that may taste awful.

Very valid point chippy, I guess I was mainly driven by demijohn space being at a premium currently in our house! Maybe not something to try with off-the-wall sort of combinations then, but I had cab/shiraz down as a very tried and tested combo.

Most, if not all kits are already a blend, even the the more expensive ones. There is a mix of, say shiraz juice (and/or concentrate) and cheap generic concentrate which may well be a mix of bland juice. The strong flavour of the shiraz dominates the other, which is there to maintain body and colour, and of course reduce cost.
I use a similar approach with grapes, mixing reliable heavy croppers of undistinguished flavour, plus deeply red grapes of poor flavour with pinot noir. The result still tastes like pinot noir. However, if the mix is not right, the wine is degraded, so beware.

Ever wonder how the pros are able to create exotic blends of tea that taste out of this world?

Latest posts

Back