I've been naughty...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just taken advantage (again) of the Wilko sale and have bought:

A 30 bottle Pinot Grigio kit

Wilko Golden Ale (planning on modifying this substantially, not sure how yet.)

Also bought a new fermenting bin and plenty of extra finings/bottles/brew enhancer.

It's evil that delivery is free for orders over £50; it makes one decide that postage is bull**** and that they may as well spend a little more!

A fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm that fool. :cheers:

My main reason for posting (other than confession) was: what should I do to mod this wilko beer kit?

I'm with you JR: it's obviously saving you money in the long run, ain't it? Economies of scale and such like.

(No - my wife is never persuaded by these arguments either. And as I will have about 150 bottles - or equivalent - sitting in the shed and ready to drink by Xmas time, it's definitely time to push pause on the next order.)

I'm with you JR: it's obviously saving you money in the long run, ain't it? Economies of scale and such like.

(No - my wife is never persuaded by these arguments either. And as I will have about 150 bottles - or equivalent - sitting in the shed and ready to drink by Xmas time, it's definitely time to push pause on the next order.)

So your xmas stock is sorted!!

But what about new year!! :-P

I built up quite the stock this year but various parties means that I'm running low on stock as the Autumn months draw in.

30+ bottles of Wherry (hopefully) 40 bottles of Festival Porter and this Golden Ale plus a couple of Brewferm kits I did earlier in the year (including the Christmas) means I should have enough to see me through the tail end of 2014.

Really love brewing, and I can;t believe it's been only a year since my first brew. Never thought I'd be lugging demi johns from the shed to the kitchen as much as I have.

:cool:

On another note: I have some spare Saaz pellets that I'd like to dry hop with; which kit would be best out of the Coopers IPA and the Golden ale?

I added citra hops to a wilko golden ale kit (steeped the hops in boiling water and removed before adding to the FV) along with extra light dme. It turned out very well - my favourite brew so far (altho only one of three!)

I'd stick the Saaz in the golden ale to 'lager-fy' it, if you see what I mean. Over prime it slightly then chill well when serving. Might keep ale and lager fans happy?

Ok, no problem. I'm going to stick this one on this evening, but I'll likely use the Saaz in the FV as a dry hop rather than boiling up the extract. Going to use 500g light DME and 500g sugar, but will probably brew to 21L (I like to rack and fine with pale beers so that extra litre allows for some trub.)

I've just done some experiments with some reduced to ckear wilko real ales. I put both on last night.

They're 2 can kits like the golden ale but in one i brewed to 22l and added 500g brew enhanver and 500g medium spray malt. The other i added 500g brew enhancer and 454g of golden syrup to.

I got the brew going and i am going to add some fuggles hop tea to it on saturday when it arrives.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are planning but if you are then maybe some light malt extract as well?

Back