Help needed with first wine from grapes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch

Reaction score
Hi all
i'm new to this forum and new to home brewing also

on last Saturday I started a new batch of wine with some british red grapes, I squashed and juiced them and put into a fermenting bucket and left for 24hr with a couple of campden tabs, on Sunday I took a Hydro reading and it was 1058, I then added sugar to bring the SG to 1090 ish, added yeast and it has been bubbling away nicely and I have been stirring regularly and pushing the skins under the juice.
This evening I have strained the skins out and transferred to DJ's, while doing this I took another Hydro reading and its around 1000??

can this be right or have I done something wrong

regards
Mark

The juice wines i make start around 1080 - 1090 and finish at .990 so i don't see a problem with yours.

The juice initially contains a lot of suspended solids which give a higher sg than clear juice. I have found that pulp fermenting black grapes is very quick. This is because it starts naturally from the moment you crush the grapes and does not have to convert the natural glucose, unlike sucrose (granulated sugar) to get started. You have completed the primary fermentation, so it's time to rack and let it continue with the secondary fermentation, which is much slower.

Latest posts

Back