Maris otter - very biscuity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrD

Reaction score
Morning all,

Made an AG beer the other day using 5kg Warminster Maris otter, 400g crystal and 30g black malt, ended up OG 1.058. Whilst still very young (5 days in primary), the resulting beer tastes a lot like digestive biscuits.

It's not unpleasant, but I'm trying to understand why it has such a pronounced biscuit flavour.

Maris otter seems to be the main malt in loads of beers and I can't say I've ever tried a beer with such strong taste of biscuits. Is it a Maris otter thing, or a Warminster Maris otter thing? Will it fade with time?

Cheers

After only five days in your primary I'd imagine your yeast have not had chance to flocculate yet. Your more than likely having a mouth full of yeast resulting in the odd taste you get.

I'd leave it until your fermentation has finished and your yeasts have settled in a yeast bed before you worry too much about flavours.

Morebeer.com has a great PDF for identifying off flavours in your beer, if the odd flavour does not go away...

http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/off_flavor.pdf

All my beers have been based on Warminster maris otter and I never tastexd anything I would describe as biscuity.

Latest posts

Back