Tomorrows APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citizen

Reaction score
As the title I am going for an American Pale Ale tomorrow, bit of a lazy recipe but I`m all about easy brewing!

Will be the usual mash schedule 66c - 90mins
1 maybe 2 Batch Sparge 75-80c Approx 15 min each.
90 min boil

Pale Malt 5000g

Start
50g Chinook (maybe 40g)

Last 10 mins
50g Chinook (maybe 60g)
3g Irish Moss

Hoping for somewhere around 5-6% Will be brewing about 26litres to allow for some bottling as well as kegging.

Open to any ideas to jazz it up a bit, but the simplicity is hugely appealing.

Thoughts?

I have not used Chinook before but my initial thought is there may be too many bittering hops. With my last APA I went with 15g of Challenger hops for 90 mins then the rest (Citra and Centennial 115g ) from 30 mins (30, 15 and 0) before end and 70g Citra and centennial dry hop.

This turned out pleasantly hoppy with not too much bitterness.

Interested to hear how yours turns out with the Chinook hops

The power of most apa's I love comes from the dry hopping. Don't really know my hops but most bottles seem to say similar to those mentioned by Dads_ale

I have not used Chinook before but my initial thought is there may be too many bittering hops. With my last APA I went with 15g of Challenger hops for 90 mins then the rest (Citra and Centennial 115g ) from 30 mins (30, 15 and 0) before end and 70g Citra and centennial dry hop.

This turned out pleasantly hoppy with not too much bitterness.

Interested to hear how yours turns out with the Chinook hops

Got me thinking now, might have to run out and get some simcoe in the morning and use both, I am aiming for a hoppy but not over hopped brew.

Dry hopping could definitely be on the cards though.

That's an awful lot of Chinook late, you trying hop bursting to really get some hop flavour in there? I'd suggest using something a bit more subtle than Chinook if you are. Try Simcoe

Well, it`s done.

4500g Pale malt
500g Crystal Malt

90 min mash
2 x 20 min batch sparge

30g Chinook - Start of boil
15g Chinook/ 3g Irish Moss - Last 15 min
15g Chinook - 0 min
Safele - 05 dried yeast

Ended up with 23 litres, reading 1050 at the moment, smells pretty hoppy but I may also dry hop once the krausen has dropped.

Cheers :)

So the krausen has dropped and I have put it in the secondary, now to dry hop, any ideas/ recommendation?

When I transfered it from the FV into the barrel/ bottles it smelt so good that I let it be.

Should be able to have a little taste this weekend (haven`t been this excited about a brew for ages) will update then, most probably hammered!!

Latest posts

Back