Bottling Wilko Cerveza how much sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikelewis

Reaction score
I will be bottling my Wilko Cerveza tomorrow, how much sugar should I add to the bottling bucket per litre?

I have never used the method of racking to a bottling bucket to add the sugar, I normally just add the sugar but I am fed up of every bottle being different.

What should I be careful of, what method should I use.

I planned to rack the beer from the primary into the bottling bucket and then boil the correct amount of sugar with some water (how much water?) and then leave to cool and then poor and gently mix into the brew and then bottle.

Tastes pretty good already took a gravity reading to day (1.008) and had a little taste and its pretty good already.

Thanks for the help.

Problem with using tea spoons is I never get a consistent amount on the spoon and never know how high to scoop them. I was was thinking about using one of those semi-spherical coffee style scoops or just weight it down to a few grams to give a consistent brew.

That would make it a a lot easier, what weight does a tea spoon of sugar work out as?

Never transferred to a bottling bucket before but I have read that you need to be careful to to purge it with oxygen, how can I prevent this and what happens if I do?

Keep meaning to check the weight but just been counting. Have to bottle some tonight so will weigh it.

As long as you put the solution in the bucket and siphon right into the bottom under the solution you shouldn't have problems with oxygen getting in...just don't let the beer drop into the bucket from any height.

I bottled a Coopers Mexican Cerveza a week ago and batch primed.

The Coopers instructions recommended 8g per litre for priming so I added 160g of white granulated sugar for my 20 litres (23l in primary FV but once siphoned off to secondary I was left with around 20l give or take).

I mixed the sugar in a beaker with around 200ml of boiling water before bunging it into my bottling bucket prior to the beer going in on top - gentle stir once all the beer in to mix the sugar in a little.

I am a newbie so its too early for me to say this weight of sugar gives the right amount of carbonation but thought this info from the coopers instructions may be useful for you if the wilkos kit instructions are a bit vague.

Maybe others with more experience can comment on whether 160gms should be about right for 20l of mexican cerveza ?

5 or 6 g per ltre for ales and 7 or 8 g for lagers works for me.
Batch priming is the easway to go,dont worry about oxygen when transferring as ive done it many many times and never had a problem.
Just transfer it,dump in sugar,little stir then bottle,sorted!

the instructions say 85g to 23l for kegging, i put more in as its not so critical in a keg and the guy at the brew shop said about 100g, i dont know if bottling would require more or less sugar than kegging but i would have thought it be the same

I will be bottling my Wilko Cerveza tomorrow, how much sugar should I add to the bottling bucket per litre?

I have never used the method of racking to a bottling bucket to add the sugar, I normally just add the sugar but I am fed up of every bottle being different.

What should I be careful of, what method should I use.

I planned to rack the beer from the primary into the bottling bucket and then boil the correct amount of sugar with some water (how much water?) and then leave to cool and then poor and gently mix into the brew and then bottle.

Tastes pretty good already took a gravity reading to day (1.008) and had a little taste and its pretty good already.

Thanks for the help.

personally for this beer 1 level teaspoon per 500ml so times 2 level teaspoons by every litre you have made, dissolve it in the microwave in a 100 ml of water then pour into bottling bucket and rack your beer on the top of it stir then bottle,:thumb:

personally for this beer 1 level teaspoon per 500ml so times 2 level teaspoons by every litre you have made, dissolve it in the microwave in a 100 ml of water then pour into bottling bucket and rack your beer on the top of it stir then bottle,:thumb:

I do near enough the same, I use 1tsp into 600ml bottles and it gives me that nice lager carbonation that I want with this type of beer.

If you put it into a PB you are sensibly limited to 90-100g sugar. More and you are increasingly likely to vent excess CO2 through the relief device.
If you bottle you can use more sugar.
This....
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
suggests between 2.2 to 2.7 vols for your beer style which equates to between 125 to 170 g table sugar for 23 litres stabilised at 20*C.

Latest posts

Back