buying oxi cleaner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All
I am having a problem buying a oxi cleaner.
I bought 2 from B&M which is called wizz fabric stain remover but it seems to me that it maybe lightly scented it is in a screw top 1KG-but I am not sure it thats how it smells or if it is lightly scented (i thought it would smell like chlorine)
Where are you chaps getting yours from that is definitely not scented and has anybody got any feedback on the one I bought

Hi
the keg is clean but I thought that at some point I would give it a strip down and oxi clean.
I have scrubbed and rinsed our with hot water and then stripped down all the posts and put in starsan then i have reassembled and put starsan in the corny and put the lid on and leave it overnight
thanks

i bought some at the pound shop but found that to be lightly scented so i won't be using that on my brew equipment. my lhbs sells it for £16 & i won't be using that one either.

so do you think the one i got is slightly scented as i have not smelt the unscented one - does it smell chemically?

I use wiz oxi clean and haven't had a problem with it or a scent so far.

Wilkos got one tho for £4 I think it was.

i buy mine from the £shop, and sometimes its wizz brand.. i have bought blind and found on opening some have had the coloured crystals (blue) of scent when labled unscented,, so now i simply open and check them before buying, the lids are not sealed on or tamper proof ;)

also the wizz stuff is potent, i have had the odd bottle with a crusty yeast ring in the bottle neck so have soaked with oxi and snapped shut the stone ( flip top bottles) last time i did this with £shop wizz oxi i had 2 bottle bombs go off in the kitchen

Thanks chaps I will set on the task of going around and opening the said containers and see if I can smell a difference in them so ascertain if they are scented or not also the one i have already bought does not have any coloured crystals in them but I suppose I'll only tell by smelling them all to be sure

Why not just buy some VWP which is one of the cleaners most used by home brewers. No risk of scent, no risk of bottle bombs and it lasts ages if you buy the big tub at about £4.

FatCol

Got mine from Tescum - own brand called Whites OXI Cleaner. Can't remember how much think it was around the four quid mark just remember it was much cheaper then the pink branded stuff. No smell. cleans well. I mostly use it to clean my syphon and little bottler

Why not just buy some VWP which is one of the cleaners most used by home brewers. No risk of scent, no risk of bottle bombs and it lasts ages if you buy the big tub at about £4.

FatCol

£4 for 100g of vwp v's 99p for 625g of £shop laundry oxi
you use less oxi per clean too..
it needs way less rinsing, less water used and less back ache stood over a sink or bath..
and even when you consider the cost of say £15 for 5years+ supply of starsan or £8 for a few years worth of videne, for a no rinse sanitation solution, your still quids in and will spend way less time at the sink especially if you use bottles..

well thats my take on it anyway

Latest posts

Back