Carbonation Issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon, all. I'm not a total newb but I have a silly question.

I've made some lovely Wherry and it has been two and a half weeks in the bottle. Thus far I've had no fizz when opening up the two experimental/sacrificial bottles and I'm beginning to get a bit worried. I used brewing sugar from Wilko (one teaspoon per 500ml bottle.)

The only difference between this beer and others I've brewed in the past is that I've started using finings these days. Would/could they have a detrimental effect on how the beer carbs up or am I just being a worry/Wherry-wart?

Shouldn't be a problem. Quantities of sugar sounds right. You've left the bottles to condition in a warmish room for a couple of weeks, presumably? I had a rather flat Brewferm lager that I kegged under pressure - was very disappointing - but I think I put it in the (very cool) shed too early. Generally I have found full carbonation can take much more than a couple of weeks in the bottle - leave it for another fortnight, and I bet you'll have bubbles.

My first coopers lager took a while to carb up in bottles, in fact it was flat for 2 weeks and then it started to pick up.

Now it ok, just not enough of it left.

Scaff

if your using glass bottles buy some plastic ones and every batch fill two plastic bottles and you can feel them starting to carb up and once they are rock solid the job is done:cheers:

Latest posts

Back