Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Jon

Reaction score
I made three batches of cider up over the weekend. I added the yeast and sugar Sunday night. On Wednesday morning one was showing some hints of fermenting. On Tuesday night I opened them up to see if they had a fermenting head on, they didn't apart from one. One looked like it had mould but I can't confirm this. They are in a warm room, and the containers are a good seal.

Do I need to give it a stir to get the yeast started? Or is it more serious? I don't know :( Any help will be much appreciated.

You don't say if it is pressed apple juice or carton, if pressed I would have expected to see some form of start by now. If it was carton apple juice, did the cartons say anything about preservatives? as these may have killed the yeast.

With my juice it is all kept outside in a shed and in this cold weather it can take a while to get going (I know this is not so with you) but If i do not see any movement within a few days a quick sample will reveal if anything is happening as it will have a fizz on the tongue.

Its pressed apples. This morning you could hear the fizzing and it smells like a brewery. But I thought the air locks will be bubbling away, their is a pressure on them because the water in them are at different heights

I have two buckets with airlock holes, the more expensive one is made of much thicker plastic than the cheaper one and is airtight (tested by turning it upside down with a little water in it) the cheaper one isn't, the dear one bubbles the cheaper one doesn't unless i put a two Kg bag of sugar in the centre of the lid.

Do I have to sit there for hours to actually see any air lock activity? Thinking about it the bins are only full to around 17L mark and in the past I had 5 or just over gallons so I guess that's why I saw more airlock activity because their was less air space in the bin possibly.

If its not escaping through the seal you will definitely see a lot of bubbles, if you are unsure get a hydrometer then you will know for sure.

Latest posts

Back