Newbie Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyd

Reaction score
Hello

I started a brew off coopers ozzy larger on fri so im on day 5. The brew has floating stuff at the top of the brew is this natural or has summit gone wrong.

My FV is see through and i havent lifted the lid or put anything in it.
Thanks people

Sounds like the "Krausen". Basically a kinda yucky looking head appears on the beer but then settles down again. Perfectly normal.

The only issue you might ever have with these is that some yeasts produce a higher krausen than others. I once used Nottingham ale yeast that had a much bigger than expected Krausen which came out the airlock and mad a mess everywhere. Delicious beer none the less.

Just read your post again and noticed its a lager. Lager yeast is top fermenting so what you are seeing could just be the yeast.

Again, nothing to worry about.

It looks like yeast to be fair now you said that. Should i just leave it before out else?? Im in no rush to bottle lol

It looks like yeast to be fair now you said that. Should i just leave it before out else?? Im in no rush to bottle lol

I would definitely leave it. I am not too familiar with lager brewing but I believe fermentation times of at least 2 weeks are the norm, if not more.

Consult the instructions for the manufactures recommended time. Then get a gravity reading to see if it has stopped fermenting.

It says 6 days to start taking the fg readings but reading alot on here it seems the norm is 2 weeks which is what im going to do anyway. Thanks for all your help

Hi dannyd, Patience is the key with Home Brewing (as I've learn the hard way with my Coopers Lager when I made it) , your best bet is to leave it be as you are doing, then take a reading after a week or two.

I managed to ruin my lager, as I kept fiddling with it and worrying as to whether it was actually doing anything!

I know its tempting but i can see inside as the FV is see through. Being a cigar smoker as well i have to be patient when ageing them as well. Good things come to he who waits lol

Im drinking a barrel now im 2/3 of the way down and its getting better lost that twang. "Patience is a virtue !"

Sorry for the late reply dannyd , i was supping it soon as it cleared 3/4 weeks in and its pretty quaffable.

I bottled this 4 weeks ago now. 2 weeks i had a bottle and wasnt a fan. 2 weeks on its a different beer wow. Saving the rest for xmas maybe lol

Latest posts

Back