Coopers lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperscrazy

Reaction score
Well...bottled for a week and couldn't resist a cheeky taste. Still slightly cloudy but tastes amazing. Will this clear in time please?

Yes

Patience (I know, I know you want to neck it, I'm the same) you can't have enough patience.

My first coopers Aussie lager took a few weeks just to gas up after bottling, but now it's..........well, being drunk with ease, and it's clear even when cold.

Scaff

Cheers scaff. I'm gonna move it to the shed next Tuesday after being bottles for 2 weeks. Will leave it there for a week then chill a couple in the fridge to test. I have a wherry in the fv for 4 days now. Will start a newkie brown in a week or 2

Make some more up,

That way you will have a constant flow of beer,

I knock up 2 beers at a go, with a wine for good measure.

I try, I say try and keep 1 kit made up in reserve

I take advantage of tescos, Wilkos, ebay etc sales to get kits in bulk.

Drives SWMBO mad, but wth

You need a hobby.

I'm gonna try these WOW wines now, I've got 20 demijohns to fill

Scaff

Had a little too much coopers lager yesterday haha I lost a few hours somewhere. Wherry,s in the bottle a week now. Newkie brown in the FV since yesterday :)

Hi chaps. What temp are you brewing your lagers at?
I have no way to control temps and am struggling to brew a decent lager. Funnily i brewed a wilko delicate pilsner and a coopers euro lager during a hot spell in the summer and they came out perfect. But cant seem to get anything right since.
Altough all my ales are coming up trumps.

Cheers
chris

Also which fermentables do you chaps use?
I used coopers brew enhancer 2 with the euro lager. And muntons brew enhancer with the pilsner.
due to stock change at my LHBS i now use 1kg of dextrose. Could this be the reason why?
My ales which have come out good have been two can kits. So no dextrose added.

Cheers....again
Chris

Also which fermentables do you chaps use?
I used coopers brew enhancer 2 with the euro lager. And muntons brew enhancer with the pilsner.
due to stock change at my LHBS i now use 1kg of dextrose. Could this be the reason why?
My ales which have come out good have been two can kits. So no dextrose added.

Cheers....again
Chris

Hi Chris

I feel the answer is in the question.

More malt = better beer.

A lager gets away with just 500g DME + table sugar or a brew enhancer.

If you want an Ale, the 2 cans are the way to go. BTW 500g sugar never hurt the taste the night before in a 2 can, maybe the head next morning. :-o

Just to confirm. I need to get back on the brew enhancer then.
my lhbs now only stock dextrose 1kg for about £3
Or cans of lme for about £10.
The dextrose isnt working and the lme is too deer.
so its back to wilkinsons for brew enhancer.

Have you ever used cans of lme as a fermentable? Is it worth the horrendes cost?

Im starting to realise that a kit is only as good as the fementables you use!?!? Is that about right?

Cheers
chris

Have you ever used cans of lme as a fermentable? Is it worth the horrendes cost?

"Yes" and "sometimes".

My local home brew shop puts together his own kits: these are two tins of Coopers malt extract and two bags of hops. You boil some water, put in one bag of hops, then an hour later add the 2nd bag of hops for another limited boil, then use this liquid and the malt extract topped up with water to make the beer. It comes out heavenly.

I have also used tins of malt with kits. Sometimes they can be too much IMHO, I've used it with Coopers Stout and now prefer to use Beer Enhancer, as the taste with pure malt was too rich. I'd never use just sugar with a kit.

If you're going to do a lager kit again, worth considering dry hopping with Saaz or Hallertau hops, it'll transform it.

Back