John Bull IPA - Straight Malt Brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaKeN

Reaction score
Good Morning all!

I'm relatively new to this brewing lark. Having done lots of reading, and experimenting a few times..

I'm thinking of Brewing up the following,

1 x John Bull IPA (1.8kg)
1 x Can of 1.5kg Light Malt Extract

Is this a good or bad idea? I've read how the Malty brews take a longer time to ferment out, and a longer time to condition in the bottle. Surely this leads to a far nicer pint at the end of the waiting period? :pray:

I have some Wilko brewing sugar I can add in if necessary to up the SG, this is Dextrose I believe.

Thoughts please?

Many Thanks! :drink:

I'm interested how this will turn out, I did this kit with 750g brewing sugar and 250g mdme and was probably my best brew yet, I loved it. Where is the 1.5kg malt extract from??

I'm interested how this will turn out, I did this kit with 750g brewing sugar and 250g mdme and was probably my best brew yet, I loved it. Where is the 1.5kg malt extract from??

I purchased the Light Malt Extract from here > http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bh-light-lme-liquid-malt-extract-15-kg-2733-p.asp

It's very cheap, and delivery is very reasonable from Ireland, coupled with a good exchange rate. I ended up getting two other beer kits as well.

1 x Cobnar Wood Northern Brown ale
1 x Triple Tykes Export ale

Sound great to me - I recall picking up 2 cans of LME from a similar source and they both went OK in with a kit brew.

If it were me, I would brew to 25L and add 500g of sugar - since you have some dextrose this will be fine (though I always use table sugar myself). This will get you a very decent pint at just over 5% with a good taste and feel.

Like you say, 2 wks in primary, then 2 wks in the warm and 2weeks plus in the cool will see you right. 2 Months in the cool and it's as good as you usually can get anywheres.

I did the same but with the kit above, was a really nice pint.

I like SLID's idea of a spot of dextrose and the increased brew length.

A bit of dry hopping for the conditioning phase might well pay a dividend in a nice hop aroma.

Good value for money that Irish outfit and not bad for customer service, a bin, I ordered arrived broken and they replaced it without a quibble.

Thanks guys, I've brewed up tonight. Starting Gravity is 1.048!

I went with 500 Grams of Honey instead of the Sugar, as I thought it might improve the brew, time will tell!

*touch wood*

Latest posts

Back