Damp smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloz

Reaction score
I was brewing a while ago, but stopped due to my wines having a damp smell to them.

I decided last week that I wanted to go again. I decided that the problem was probably not sanitising properly.

I have been out, bought some new sanitiser and bits need. Cleaned all kit to be used thoroughly.

I have taken some frozen 'forest fruits'. Defrosted them. Simmered and added sugar. Put them in my clean bucket along with tannin, pect and nutrient. Let it cool for a few hours then added yeast.

I came to it this morning and it has the damp smell again... Is this normal?

I don't know what may be causing the smell but if you have the gear why not try a juice wine and see if it turns out the same, if it does you have only lost a couple of pounds..

How to make a supermarket juice wine - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Easy Rosé wine (one of our favourites)

1 litre Red grape juice (Tesco)

1 litre Apple Juice (Tesco)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

128329.jpg
IDShot_225x225.jpg

Good news...

Noticed it had stopped bubbling today, so opened it up to find all fruit at the top. Gave it a stir and it fizzed like mad... And it smells great.

Maybe I was a just too impatient?

Latest posts

Back