Improvements for Geordie Winter Warmer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an0901

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just started a single can Geordie Winter Warmer kit and having read some negative reviews about this kit turning out "weak" and "watery" and like "beer flavoured soda water" I'm naturally having doubts about it.

Steps taken so far​
Can of Geordie Winter Warmer
1kg dextrose (wish I'd used dme)
300g black treacle (I've read this can improve the body of a brew)*
100g honey*
100g muscovado sugar*
1tbsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
(*=whatever sugary stuff I had left in the cupboard, basically - thought by adding this I could improve the OG which came out at 1038 @ 22litres...final OG was 1042)

Yeast is off to a flying start and has around 3-4cm krausen on top about 7hours after pitching. Temperature is around 23 degrees celsius. In hindsight I would have brewed it much shorter at around 18 litres.

Potential improvements​
An OG of 1042 is lower than what I would want for a full bodied winter warmer (first try - but having done some reading this does seem low) so I was wondering whether I could add some extra dark DME + yeast starter in stages as the fermentation subsides to try to raise the ABV and hopefully improve the malty body of the beer.

My question​
Are there any suggestions of how else I could improve this potential Grinch of a winter warmer? Ideally I would like an ABV around 5-6% but more importantly a sweeter beer with plenty of malty body. Is it too late to do anything about this now?

Drink it really fast!

If you've brewed the bugger I think you're stuck with it, now. I actually managed to go and exchange my kit for something else (a Brewferm Christmas kit as I recall) once I read the bad reviews. Maybe just save it and give it to people you don't particularly care for as a booby Christmas present.

Drink it really fast!

If you've brewed the bugger I think you're stuck with it, now. I actually managed to go and exchange my kit for something else (a Brewferm Christmas kit as I recall) once I read the bad reviews. Maybe just save it and give it to people you don't particularly care for as a booby Christmas present.

Well the fermentation has just started, I think I will try experimenting with adding some dme with a high alcohol tolerant yeast starter in stages every time the fermentation starts to subside. I read an article about this for boosting abv and retaining body during fermentation. Though I fear my inexperience may show through and I'll just eng up with a sweet, stuck fermentation. Ah well, this hobby's all about experimenting right?!

I agree with Joey.

This one is going to be what it will be. The less you mess with it now, the better it will turn out.

By around late February 2015, I expect it will be fine enough.

One reason this kit gets poor reviews could be that it may tend to be brewed by inexperienced, first timers who just don't wait long enough for time to overcome the fact that it is never going to be "great", more like "perfectly drinkable", given what it is made up of.

Homebrew from kits tends to be not bad after 6 weeks, but the same stuff is actually really quite good after twice the time.

Latest posts

Back