Pet bottles or glass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig133

Reaction score
So ive just start brewing beer did to ciders first pear and a mixed berry neither of which i was over the moon about bit sour or its just me so now having a go at beer just done a coopers australian draught and bottled it in my pet bottles and it suddenly came to me does it taste different if stored in glass or does not make any difference thanks for any input.

I have zero experience on the subject but I read a very interesting article about the chemicals used and how it can effect your home brew. They said glass was the way to go.

I also watched a video where a version of muntons premium gold was best used in pet plastic bottles as it complimented the taste more than glass bottles. He did half in glass and half in plastic.

It's like the age old debate of coke in bottles,cans and pet. People argue they is a definite taste difference.

Each person is different. I say buy a few bottles and give it a try

I'm still pretty new to this to but I did a huge amount of reading and lurking around forums before I started. FWIW I never came across anything to suggest that plastic bottles are any less suitable, or that they impart any sort of undesirable taste to the beer.
I currently have four different brews on the go and not enough glass bottles so I'll be using a mixture. Personally I think there's no doubt that there is something far more pleasing about popping a crown cap off a glass bottle than unscrewing a plastic cap so I'll probably use glass for favourites, laying away and giving to friends.

Just looked up the following on the Coopers web site.... Basically if its short term then the Coopers PET bottles are ok, but if long term then you need glass.
They say the Coopers bottles have a special nylon barrier, so not like ordinary PET bottles.. There is also some issue about these not being re cycled, but I can't find that at the minute, might be in the Coopers forums.

I take the tamper evident collars off the Coopers caps before I use them first time, makes them easier to fit and screw up and its a pain to get the ring off the bottles after. As its only ever going to be me opening them it makes no odds to me....

From Coopers Q&A section.....
PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, which is the same plastic used to make soft drink (soda pop) bottles.

Since 2000, Coopers has included PET bottles with the starter kits (initially the Micro-Brew Kit and now the DIY Beer Kit) rather than the traditional crown seals and capper because it was becoming increasingly difficult for new brewers to obtain sturdy crown seal bottles. Today, most commercial beer is packaged in single use glass bottles, which are too thin to stand up to the rigours of continual washing and capping. These bottles carry the words "no refill" embossed on the glass.

The majority of PET bottles are subtly porous and a beverage held in PET will eventually go flat. However, Coopers PET bottles have a nylon barrier, reducing the the rate of ingress of oxygen and the loss of CO2 for up to 18 months. The re-usable caps have a tamper evident collar that breaks off after the first use. This does not affect the airtight seal. When the caps eventually wear out, replacement caps can be purchased separately.
Note: PET is temperature-sensitive and should not be cleaned using hot water.

A beer, such as an Imperial Stout, intended to be aged for 2 years or more, should be bottled into sturdy glass designed for re-use. With this in mind, Coopers also produce Original Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale and Best Extra Stout beverages in sturdy 750ml glass bottles. These bottles have a lip designed for a prise-off crown seal and weigh a formidable 560g empty! They are an excellent option for brewers and sauce makers, alike.

I have been using a mix of brown glass and coopers PET and they are both fine, no difference in the beer quality. This may not be the case if I kept the beer for a long time but thats far from an issue for me.

Latest posts

Back