Muntons Premium Gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWStinchcombe

Reaction score
Just started a home brew. No real clue what I am doing other than folling breif instructions on side of box. It says that the brew should be 4-6 days before bottling. At the moment it has been 7 days and the hydrometer is still above the black line. I was told it needed to reach.

Any advice please?

I normally leave mine in the FV for min two weeks to allow the fermentation to finish totally and for the yeastes to start cleaning up after itself, there should be more in depth instructions with the kit then the brief ones on the box????

you need to get three consistent hydrometer reading aswell to confirm finished and ready to bottle,

hope it helps

:hat:

4-6 days assumes ideal conditions, temperature etc. In the real world most kits need a fortnight or so before bottling or kegging. Make sure it's warm enough and if the hydrometer reading is not moving after a couple of days give it a gentle stir and move it somewhere warmer. Maybe consider insulating your fv especially overnight at this time of year. I use a layer of bubble wrap and an old sleeping bag over mine and sit it right next to a radiator. Above all don't worry.

Agree with the perfect conditions comment.

Also with the meagre amount of yeast Munton's supply, this would be hard to achieve.

I would look for at least 15 to 20 days of fermentation, some of us move the brew into a fresh bin after 6 or 7 days.

Worth testing the SG to ensure the reading is low, around 1010 to 1012 or so, or constant but still around 1012.

Good luck with your brew and look at the stuff on here, lots of helpful people and useful info.

I did a Muntons Gold Conkerwood which took several weeks to ferment and got stuck at 1020. Eventually it got down to 1014 & I bottled it. It wasn't bad even so.
I have heard it said on this forum that the Munton's kits go better if you put some yeast nutrient in at the beginning. Don't know if that's true, but if it is you'd think they'd put some in the kit, or do they secretly like being constantly emailed by people with stuck fermentations?

As others have said, ignore the instructions. For me, 14 days is an absolute minimum and I normally leave most brews 18-21 days. Leave it a little longer won't hurt it and will help the beer clear, bottle too early and you'll have bottle bombs.

A big thanks for all of the hints, tips & tricks.

It would appear a little patience and a good stir seems the best policy.

I did go the ther mothership website to see if there were more detailed instructions but only found a copy of what was on the side of the box!

On reflection if they had made the instructions too detailed it could put a lot of people off having a go...Me included.

Too much scienceness is would not be what a newbie would want.

Cheers all.

I started a brew 2 weeks ago and wondered if anybody could give some insight into where they think things are based on the attached photo and hydrometer reading?

Also any potential next steps?

Thanks in anticipation

Beer 30.11.2014.jpg

Did you stir it, or is that photo taken just as the hydrometer has been dropped in? The presence of bubbles suggests it's still going, and the hydrometer reading is a bit high (looks like 1016) - leave it another week in a warmish place, I reckon it'll drop some more. 1010 is the ideal finish, but the Muntons yeast is a bit weak and can run out of steam: top tip for anything made by Muntons is to add a teaspoon or two of Yeast Nutrient at the start to get a good solid ferment.

The good news is that I've done that kit and it's one of the best out there IMHO. :cheers:

I'm no expert, but I thought I'd chip in with my two penneth worth. I've just kegged a St Peter's Golden Ale (made by Muntons) and got that to reach target gravity in 7 days. I use an aquarium heater set to 21 degrees to maintain a constant temperature. Might be worth a try? Normally I do leave my beers longer than seven days, but I haven't brewed in four months because of work commitments and I'm thirsty.

Latest posts

Back